The engineers at OLPC are busy building an educational experience for the kids of the world. They are basing their excellent work on Fedora.

Their time is stretched perilously thin. Every hour an overworked OLPC engineer spends doing Fedora work is an hour they could be spending doing something else. We in the Fedora community can therefore have a huge, direct, and immediate impact on the success of the OLPC project.

Thus, I am proud to announce the formation of the Fedora OLPC Special Interest Group. Our mission: to provide the OLPC project with a strong, sustainable, scalable, community-driven base platform for innovation.

Immediate Goals:

1. To identify and take responsible ownership of as many OLPC base packages as possible.

2. To maintain an excellent Sugar environment for Fedora, including a dedicated Sugar spin.

3. To identify useful opportunities for collaboration (infrastructure, localization, etc.)

We should convene our first meeting as soon as possible. If you are interested in participating, please join the Fedora OLPC mailing list here and introduce yourself:

--g