Fedora Weekly News Issue 144
============================

Welcome to Fedora Weekly News Issue 144 for the week ending September
20, 2008.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue144

Selected Contents:

In this issue we cover the upcoming plans for North America Fedora
Ambassador Day, update the happenings across the Fedora Planet, report
on numerous work towards Fedora 10 in artwork, internationalization and
reports on FUDCon 2008 in Brno, Czech Republic and Linux Demo Day in
Charleston, SC USA.

If you are interested in contributing to Fedora Weekly News, please see
our 'join' page[1].

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewsProject/Join

== Announcements ==

In this section, we cover announcements from the Fedora Project.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/

Contributing Writer: Max Spevack

== Fedora 10 feature owners--rescue your unfinished feature pages!

John Poelstra reminded[0] everyone that the feature freeze for Fedora 10
is coming soon, and that feature owners need to get their pages updated
to ensure that the features that belong in F10 get in, and that the
features that need to be deferred to F11 are deferred. "Please complete
this as soon as possible so that we can prepare an accurate beta release
announcement. FESCo will also be reviewing the complete feature list at
its next meeting on Wednesday, September 17, 2008, and determining which
incomplete features should remain."

[0]
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-September/msg00011.html

== Updates to Fedora Packaging Guidelines

Tom Callaway announced[1] the most recent set of revisions to the
Packaging Guidelines, including including Haskell, Lisp, and several
other areas. For the full announcement, read the link below.

[1]
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-September/msg00012.html
== Fedora 10 and translations: String freeze and repackaging

Dimitris Glezos reminded[2] us "that shipped packages for which Fedora
is upstream for are string frozen since the Beta freeze of September 11:
no translatable strings can be added or modified for Fedora 10."

[2]
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-September/msg00013.html
== Fedora intrustion update

Paul Frields issued[3] his latest updated regarding the Fedora security
breach that has been news during the past few weeks. "Work on the Fedora
infrastructure has returned to normal at this point. Updates are once
again available for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9, our current releases, using
the new package signing key we've implemented."

For the full announcement, follow the link.

[3]
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-September/msg00009.html

== Planet Fedora ==

In this section, we cover the highlights of Planet Fedora - an
aggregation of blogs from Fedora contributors worldwide.

http://planet.fedoraproject.org

Contributing Writer: Max Spevack
== Tech Tidbits

Warren Togami announced the creation of a new list for NSPluginWrapper.
"NSPluginwrapper Development discussion with the goal of isolating
issues and collaboratively working on solutions should go on this list.
There was some interest from other Linux distributions and even Adobe to
cooperate on the future of nspluginwrapper development."

http://wtogami.livejournal.com/28380.html

Jesus Rodriguez announced the release of Spacewalk 0.2, the open-source
upstream for Red Hat Satellite. There is a list of features,
enhancements, bug fixes, and credits on Jesus' blog.

http://zeusville.wordpress.com/2008/09/16/spacewalk-02/

http://spacewalk.redhat.com/

Greg DeKoenigsberg is helping the OLPC folks recruit volunteers to be
part of their growing infrastructure team. "OLPC builds a lot of
packages. They are looking to set up and maintain an infrastructure that
will allow them to meet their own unique packaging needs. They need a
volunteer with a strong understanding of the Fedora packaging process --
one who either understands koji now, or can learn to understand it in
fairly short order."

http://gregdek.livejournal.com/35595.html

My favorite Planet post this week comes from Fedora Board member Matt
Domsch, and it is worth people's time to read the entire post, to gain a
lot of insight into how Fedora's mass rebuilds work, and what triggers them.

"One challenge to self-hosting a project the size of Fedora (now with
about 6200 source packages) is dealing with the interdependencies
between packages. When a major component, such as the compiler or an
often-used library, upgrades to a new version, you should rebuild all
packages that depend upon that major component, to ensure they continue
to work. Often, simply re-compiling or re-linking each package using the
updated compiler or library is all that is needed. In some cases though,
applications which once built, no longer do - bitrot has set in."

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/09/19/use-the-source-luke.aspx
== Legal

Tom Callaway wrote a lengthy post about the Mozilla EULA controversy,
which reared its head again this week in the context of Ubuntu and
Mozilla. However, Fedora dealt with this problem several months ago, at
the end of the Fedora 9 release cycle.

Spot's entire post is worth reading, as is the commentary that follows
it. Here is one excerpt:

"[The] goal was always to ensure that we could walk away with license
terms from Mozilla that:

1. Permitted Fedora to continue using the Firefox trademarks 2. Clearly
upheld the MPL as the valid software license terms for the Firefox
binaries and source (not just for Fedora, but for everyone) 3. Meet the
criteria for Free Software 4. Are presented to the user in a
non-obtrusive, non-clickthrough agreement way"

http://spot.livejournal.com/299409.html

Anthony Green wrote a post that referenced SGI altering its Free B
license, which has long been a thorn in the side of various distros.

http://spindazzle.org/greenblog/index.php?/archives/121-Thank-you,-SGI..html

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2008/september/opengl.html

== Events & Ambassadors ==

The North American Fedora Ambassador Day is coming up at Ohio Linux Fest
in October, and there were a few posts about it on Planet this week.
Brian Powell gave an update on the organization, saying:

"There have been quite a few discussions and meetings recently in
regards to FAD planning. There has been a lot of good progress and great
ideas coming out of these. With time getting close, we are looking at
finalizing the Agenda and Schedule for FADNA shortly.

If you are a North American Ambassador I would ask that you take a
moment to look at what we have come up with so far and a 'tentative'
schedule of events located at the FADNA2008 wiki page. If you have
anything to add feel free to do so."

http://blog.rhatters.org/2008/09/17/fadna-2008-update/

Additionally, Karsten Wade wrote a post about strategies for handling
remote meetings, and making a physical gathering of a small number of
people into a larger meeting that remotees can attend and still get
value out of, whether that attendance is via IRC, telephone, or
something collaborative like gobby.

"Think about your sessions and how it can help to interact with the rest
of us. I recommend a minimum of: live video feed, live audio feed, and
IRC, Gobby, and wiki editing projected on the wall. We can also keep a
VoIP conference room open, but my instinct is to limit the flow on the
incoming voices by subject matter. Beyond that recommendation, a live
IRC and wiki-based abd/or Gobby note taking with many laptops in the
in-person session is the bare bones, with regular usage of
talk.fedoraproject.org."

http://iquaid.org/2008/09/16/formula-for-making-distance-work/

David Nalley wrote up a trip report for Linux Demo Day in Charleston,
SC. "About 60 people showed up. Charleston’s LUG is relatively new, and
this was their first event. They seemed very pleased. I handed about 30
LiveCDs out and talked with a number of Fedora. In addition I spoke to
2-3 people who were intrigued with contributing to Fedora in one way or
another. I’ll be following up with these individuals." This is a great
example of an event -- low cost, but high touch!

http://www.nalley.sc/david/?p=96

== Marketing ==

In this section, we cover the Fedora Marketing Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing

The history of Fedora is now available in video format. [1]

[1] http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/09/16/video-the-history-of-fedora/

== FUDCon Brno 2008

Max Spevack reported[1] the result of FUDCon Brno 2008.

[1] http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/09/09/fudcon-brno-2008/

== The beauty found in Fedora.

Very interesting point of view of a Fedora user[1]

[1]
http://spreadfedora.org/sf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=47

== Plug and Run Fedora on a TOSHIBA A300D laptop

Adventures with Fedora and very tricky laptop [1]

It is always good to know for such success stories. Some laptops do not
even start GNU/Linux at all! But that one seems to work pretty well with
Fedora.

[1]
http://spreadfedora.org/sf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=51
== First look at Fedora

The video article "First look at Fedora" shows what one can sees for the
first time [1] Very useful for novice users.

[1]
http://spreadfedora.org/sf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=49

== Translation ==

This section, we cover the news surrounding the Fedora Translation
(L10n) Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N

Contributing Writer: Runa Bhattacharjee
== 14th October 2008 declared as the Package Translation deadline for
Fedora 10

The last date of submission of translations for Fedora 10 packages has
been announced as 14th October 2008 (Tuesday).[1] This announcement was
made after an unanimous decision by the Fedora L10n Steering Committee
(FLSCo) members. The last date for the translation of Documents remains
as 21st October 2008 (Tuesday).

A request for rebuilding of packages post the translation freeze date,
was also made to the Fedora-Devel-Announcement List.[2]

"Maintainers of the above packages need to put a reminder to issue a new
build *later* than this date and before the Development Freeze of 21/10.
The closer to the development freeze the rebuild takes place, the better
for our translators. If you have not received any translations since the
last build, a rebuild is not necessary."

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-September/msg00050.html

[2]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-September/msg00013.html

== Renewed call for volunteers for the L10n Infrastructure

Another call was made at the FLSCo meeting held on 16th September
2008[3] seeking volunteers for the Fedora L10n infrastructure.[4] The
earlier call was made in April 2008.[5]

Meanwhile, Asgeir Frimannsson announced a proposed plan for a new L10n
infrastructure which is currently being discussed in various relevant
mailing lists.[6][7]

[3]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-September/msg00047.html

[4]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-September/msg00051.html

[5]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-April/msg00020.html

[6]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2008-September/msg00108.html

[7]
http://groups.google.com/group/transifex-devel/browse_thread/thread/f9b1e06362386539

== Infrastructure ==

This section contains the discussion happening on the
fedora-infrastructure-list

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure

Contributing Writer: HuzaifaSidhpurwala
== Planning a future L10N infrastructure (including Fedora)

Asgeir Frimannsson wrote on the @fedora-infrastructure-list [1] about
his views on the current localisation infrastructure. He summarises the
current infrastructure which is used by the localisation team, which
includes the version control system and other online tools. He also
discusses transifex. He also discusses the requirements for a system
where the translation lifecycle would be managed within 'Translation
Repositories'

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2008-September/msg00108.html

== Puppet training

Mike McGrath wrote on the @fedora-infrastructure-list [2] that he is
going to hold a puppet training next wednesday. He also posted an ogg
and the slide deck [3] to which his live training will be identical.

[2]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2008-September/msg00124.html

[3] http://mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/puppet/
== Fedora 10 Beta Release Planning Meeting

John Poelstra wrote on the @fedora-infrastructure-list [4] about the
Fedora 10 Beta Release Planning Meeting. He has also posted the list of
participants and the meeting logs.

[4]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2008-September/msg00135.html
== Infrastructure update notice

Paul W. Frields wrote on the @fedora-infrastructure-list [5] about the
announcement which went out on the fedora-announce-list [6]. Paul
confirmed that all of our services were back online now.

[5]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2008-September/msg00140.html

[6]
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-September/msg00009.html
== app2 disk space

Mike McGrath wrote on the @fedora-infrastructure-list[7] about the
recent disk alerts on app2. It seems that the host was not built with
enough disk space similar to app1. It does raise a point about storage
for transifex though. Basically each host running transifex or damned
lies, keeps a local copy of every scm as part of its usage. For
performance reasons that should not change but its something we'll want
to figure out long term. So after the freeze the host is going to be
rebuilt.

[7]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2008-September/msg00155.html

== Artwork ==

In this section, we cover the Fedora Artwork Project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork

Contributing Writer: Nicu Buculei
== Near to the Echo

Pursuing the declared goal of having the new Echo icon theme ready to be
used as a default in Fedora 10, Martin Sourada and Luya Tshimbalanga
continued the development and posting updates[1], [2], gathering
feed-back and improvement proposals on @fedora-art. Martin even created
an animated demo "also prepared animated gif (slideshow) [3] so you can
see all the icons in one batch" and blogged about it.

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00202.html

[2]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00248.html

[3] http://mso.fedorapeople.org/echo/Actions/mail-all.gif

[4]
http://mso-chronicles.blogspot.com/2008/09/batch-of-new-mail-echo-icon.html
== Freedom for a game

Nicu Buculei relayed[1] to @fedora-art a request from the Hans deGoede,
of Games SIG fame: the Project: Starfighter game[2], which used to be
included in Fedora, was discovered of having some non-free graphic files
and need free replacements to be re-included. Erick Henrique offered[3]
his help "I go to unpack the archive starfighter.pak and to study a form
of I redesign everything in a new style" and Hans promised[4] to code a
needed utility "About recreating the .pak file I need to write a little
utility for that, hopefully I'll have time for that this weekend."

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00231.html

[2] http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/starfighter.php

[3]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00246.html

[4]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00291.html

== Infrastructure change for Fedora Art

After an IRC consultation with Mairin Duffy, Martin Sourada proposed[1]
using fedorahosted.org services for the Art team "it might be worth
setting up a fedorahosted.org instance for the Fedora Art Team. Primary
purpose would be to host our release graphics, but it could serve other
purposes as well (e.g. using ticket system for design service come to my
mind)", an initiative received with open arms by Luya Tshimbalanga and
with some skepticism[3] by Ian Weller "I'm personally all for the idea,
but I knew there were some caveats that we should definitely look into
before we even think about proceeding. I'd also like to see Mo's input,
of course." and Nicu Buculei[4] "I am strongly against something which
would raise the barrier to entry, so a NO-NO would be to require git to
upload sketches (proposals) for the upcoming release."

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00242.html

[2]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00247.html

[3]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00263.html

[4]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-art-list/2008-September/msg00267.html

==Security Advisories==

In this section, we cover Security Advisories from fedora-package-announce.

Contributing Writer: David Nalley
== Fedora 9 Security Advisories

    * tomcat5-5.5.27-0jpp.2.fc9 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00859.html
    * fedora-package-config-smart-9-13.0.2.transitional -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00800.html
    * fedora-package-config-apt-9-3.transitional -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00799.html
    * ssmtp-2.61-11.6.fc9.1 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00768.html

== Fedora 8 Security Advisories

    * ssmtp-2.61-11.6.fc8.1 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00757.html
    * fedora-package-config-apt-8-2.transitional -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00844.html
    * fedora-package-config-smart-8-12.0.2.transitional -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00846.html
    * tomcat5-5.5.27-0jpp.2.fc8 -
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-package-announce/2008-September/msg00889.html

==Virtualization==

In this section, we cover discussion on the @et-mgmnt-tools-list,
@fedora-xen-list, @libvirt-list and @ovirt-devel-list of Fedora
virtualization technologies.

Contributing Writer: Dale Bewley
== Enterprise Management Tools List

This section contains the discussion happening on the et-mgmt-tools list
== Virt-manager and Virtinst Closely Related

After upgrading virt-manager to 0.6.0, Maikel Dollé received[1] the
error ImportError: cannot import name Storage. Cole Robinson
explained[2] virt-manager is tied closely with virtinst and installing
virtinst 0.400.0 would likely fix the problem.

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2008-September/msg00038.html

[2]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2008-September/msg00039.html
== Migration Support in Virt-manager GUI

Shigeki Sakamoto followed[1] up on a previous[2] request for comments on
a patch, submitted by same, which works to allow the migration of
domains from within the virt-manager GUI. Daniel P. Berrange
suggested[3] using a submenu rather than a pop-up window, and commented
on the sanity checks[4] in libvirt.

Live Migration Sanity Checks were recently discussed on @libvir list
(see FWN #141 Live Migration Sanity Checks[5]).

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2008-September/msg00045.html

[2]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2008-September/msg00016.html

[3]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/et-mgmt-tools/2008-September/msg00046.html

[4] http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/TodoPreMigrationChecks

[5] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue141#Live_Migration_Sanity_Checks
== Fedora Xen List

This section contains the discussion happening on the fedora-xen list.
== DomU Network Interface Problem Leads to Discussion of HVM Requirements

Guillaume[1] asked[1] about a paravirtualized domU which did not show
any network interfaces. There was a suggestion made that this could be
due to a lack of HVM support in the host hardware, which isn't the case.
Paul Wouters cleared[2] up such confusion by describing the main
virtualization techniques used in Fedora. Quoting:

    * Xen hypervisor for para_virt guests does not need HVM.

    Problem here is that Fedora 8 is the last release to support this
setup on x86_64, though work is in progress to add this support to
Fedora 9/10. Para_virt guests are booted via kernel= and rootfs images,
or via pygrub, which is just a wrapper for grabbing kernel from bootable
disk images.

    * Qemu is a software emulator for various architectures including PC
hardware.

    It requires no HVM instructions, but it can use them if they exist
via the kernel "kvm" code. This is how Fedora9 does its VM's via the
libvirt and virt-install. This does NOT [sic] use or require a xen
hypervisor.

    * Xenner is a software emulation for the Xen hypervisor.

    It requires HVM because it uses the kernel "kvm" code. The idea
behind Xenner is that you can run VM's based on kernel-xen kernels (eg
migration from Fedora8)

Paul went on to mention other[5] virtualization technologies such as
VirtualBox/Vmx, lguest, uml, virtuoso, and openvz.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2008-September/msg00018.html

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2008-September/msg00021.html

In another post[3] Paul suggested that Guillaume's domU may have an
initrd which lacks xenblk and xennet, and pointed[4] to a debate in the
FC6 era concerning the xenblk kernel module.

[3] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2008-September/msg00022.html

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2007-April/msg00054.html

[5] http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/TechComparison
== Libvirt List

This section contains the discussion happening on the libvir-list.
== Minimal Client-only Libvirt Build

Ben Guthro patched[1] the libvirt spec file to allow for a minimal
client-only build.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-September/msg00264.html
== Access to CPU Flags

Ben Guthro needed[1] to access CPU flags to determine if VMX features
were available, and suggested src/nodeinfo.c would be the place to parse
this. This however raised a concern that adding to the nodeinfo struct
breaks the API. Additionally, since this is an x86 specific change, Ben
wondered if it would be acceptable.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-September/msg00271.html

Daniel P. Berrange stated[1] "any struct or API in
include/libvirt/libvirt.h is immutable to preserve ABI", and the API
shouldn't be specifically x86. Daniel did offer that the most likely
place for exposing CPU flags would be in the capabilities[3] XML format.
Where PAE, VMX, and SVM flags are already exposed.

[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-September/msg00273.html

[3] http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virConnectGetCapabilities

Ben noted[4] that Xen will report those flags, but oVirt running KVM
does not, and said "It seems to me that it might be useful for some sort
of "node" info driver, where we might be able to share code for
hypervisor independent info about the physical machine it is running
on." Daniel pointed[5] to src/nodeinfo.c as "a place for this useful
reusable node info code".

[4] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-September/msg00292.html

[5] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-September/msg00316.html
== OpenVZ Support

Anton Protopopov pointed[1] to a previous thread[2] on xml format for
OpenVZ driver, and asked if libvirt supported the xml format for
OpenVZ[3] driver.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-September/msg00320.html

[2] http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-July/msg00312.html

[3] http://wiki.openvz.org

Evgeniy Sokolov replied[4] that OpenVZ uses the XML format common for
all libvirt drivers.

[4]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-September/msg00331.html