Nicu Buculei wrote:
With a bit of impulse from Martin, here is the formal proposal for a F10 theme: Gears

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F10Themes/Gears

The focus of this theme is technology: technology advancement is one of Fedora's main goals and gears are a classic metaphor for technology. A secondary message of the theme is "the golden era of Fedora": we are so confident in our distro that we think Fedora 10 is (will be) the distro marking the start of the golden age of Linux (and, of course, the best Fedora yet.

The current implementation uses a steampunk look and feel, it is a good technology symbol, a large playing field for our imagination and also something quite original for a Linux desktop (for for any desktop).

Well Enlightenment as a desktop environment has been using gears as a symbol for a long time now.

http://www.enlightenment.org/

Rahul