Hello Filipe,

On 12.03.2009, at 12:19, Filipe Correia wrote:
> Is this an harvester meant to harvest external meta-data and
> automatically ingest/update it in fedora? (hence, replicating the
> meta-data on another repository)
Thats right.
It consists of the following parts:
- An OAI-PMH client implementation library (finished)
- The Harvester as a library (60% complete)
- A WebService which uses the library
- Possibly a Web UI

The harvester itself will have the following features:
- It is Protocol-Agnostic: You can easily add more "harvesting" and
more "storing" protocols, so it isn't tied to Fedora or OAI-PMH but
these are the protocols I'll implement.
- Converting different metadata formats into others using xslt or
custom java code.
- Translation-tables: Translates the content of metadata fields. For
example if the source uses another naming schema for the discipline-
field.
- One or more Metadata-Streams.

Possible future features:
- Non-XML data streams
- Support for OAI-ORE

I'm using standard Java 1.5 with JAX-WS, JAXB and Joda-Time (because
java.util.Date and DateFormat is just evil).
It needs at least Fedora 2 to work (Using the Fedora2Repository class
which uses the SOAP-API). I'm implementing a Fedora3Repository using
the REST API afterwards.

> Or is it the other way around, and what it does is to harvest
> meta-data provided by fedora's OAI-PMH service?

By creating another "storing" protocol (called Repository inside the
harvester, as opposed to Archive which is the harvesting protocol)
this is easily done.

Cheers,
Mischael Schill