On 30/11/09 09:55, Terry Barnaby wrote:
On 11/29/2009 11:30 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 09:10 +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:
On 11/28/2009 08:35 AM, Rakesh Pandit wrote:
2009/11/28 Terry Barnaby wrote:
If the NetworkManager service is running, but not managing the current
network connection, then Firefox starts up in offline mode.

Is this a bug in NetworkManager or Firefox ?

This is odd behaviour and needs to be fixed. I would suggest open up a
bug against firefox. I know one can change
toolkit.networkmanager.disable preference, but it is a PITA for our
users. One of use cases is: Sometime network manager does not connect
me via my CDMA usb modem (in case signal is weak), but wvdial does and
once I switch from NM to wvdial, my firefox gets to offline mode,
which I don't expect it to as I am connected.

Ok, filed as: 542078

NetworkManager is intended to control the default internet connection.
If NetworkManager cannot control the default internet connection, then
you may not want to use NetworkManager.

In your case, you're using a mobile broadband device. The real bug here
is that for whatever reason, NM/MM aren't connecting your modem, and we
should follow up on that bug instead.

Dan

I am not using a mobile broadband device. The network connection my systems
use is not just the Internet it is a local network LAN connection that also
serves the internet. Most of my systems use a local network server which
provides NIS, /home and /data using NFS and VPN etc. I normally use the
service "network" to bring up wired or wireless networking for this.
Fedora,
by default, uses NetworkManager to manage all network devices though. I use
the service "network" as, for some reason, the NetworkManager service is
started after the netfs and other services are started. Is there a reason
for this ??

Don't know about the reason, but on my work desktop (where we have LDAP auth and NFS home dirs), I can still use NetworkManager in F12:

* Make sure your LAN interfaces are marked "available to all users" in NetworkManager (I think this corresponds to "ONBOOT=yes" in /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth*)

* Add to /etc/sysconfig/network:

NETWORKWAIT=true

This should bring the network up before netfs.

Unfortunately I've had to revert to the old network service because I need bridged networking for my virt guests; there was a plan to support this in NetworkManager in F-12 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManagerBridging) but nothing seems to have happened with that, though I see there is a similar feature proposed for F-13 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Shared_Network_Interface).

Paul.