It is kind of messy here, pls don't continue to do any other thing, I strongly
suggest you start from FRESH and reinstall FDS7.1 again.

OK assuming you prefer to use foo.com as the LDAP domain (nisdomain), the
baseDN (where the topmost rootDN is) will be dc=foo,dc=com, if you choose
"populate with sample data", I think the ou=People and ou=Groups will be
created, note that ou=group will not be created.

I am not sure and couldn't recall if FDS7.1 installation will create the
nisDomain object in the rootDN, if it does not, you could create it by
accessing this rootDN in admin server/open directory, click rootDN, add an
objectClass "nisDomainObject" and attribute "nisDomain", with value "foo.com"
in it (without the quotes).

If you query everything, the rootDN is listed first, it will be something like:

# /usr/bin/ldapsearch –h ldap1.foo.com -b "dc=foo,dc=com" -L "objectclass=*" |
more
dn: dc=foo,dc=com
dc: foo
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain
objectClass: nisDomainObject
nisDomain: foo.com

Since most DS product standardize on using ou=group as the group data OU,
instead of ou=Groups, do add "ou=group" using admin console.

Again whatever you do, don't jump, don't do "ldaplist" without first making
sure "ldapclient" run OK, ldap_cachemgr started OK and show no error in its
log, and so on.

Gary