On Jul 16, 2009, at 21:24, Toshio Kuratomi <a.bad...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 07/16/2009 08:50 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 19:59 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
What's the consensus here?

If we install patch, will git come next, since people will want to git
am stuff?  Not that I'm against having patch, it would make things
easier.

Well I won't be adding that one :-)

Thinking about this more seriously, patch can be useful on text files on
any system.  git is only useful on systems where we're making git
checkouts.  git-am, if I'm reading the man page right would only be
useful where we have git checkouts and are receiving patches via mail?

Git am works on any file generated with git format-patch. That is most often used with email but it does encapsulate the author and the commit message and has a checksum itself that can be verified against the upstream repo. Probably not something we need in global.

--
Jes