Hiya,

We had quite a good meeting today. The primary agenda was to clarify
the purpose of the SIG. Those present agreed that our current mission
statement "to maintain and provide channels of communications to enable
prospective contributors and community members to engage with each
other" made sense, and does not overlap with other SIGs such as CommOps
that are more involved in improving the onboarding processes and
tooling.

<takes a breath>

The links for the logs are here, and the minutes are below. Please,
reply with any questions or concerns so that we can address them before
we re-announce our goal :)

Minutes:
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-3/2016-10-10/fedora-join_october_10_2016.2016-10-10-15.00.html

Minutes (text):
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-3/2016-10-10/fedora-join_october_10_2016.2016-10-10-15.00.txt

Log:
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-3/2016-10-10/fedora-join_october_10_2016.2016-10-10-15.00.log.htm

#fedora-meeting-3: Fedora-Join October 10 2016

Meeting started by FranciscoD at 15:00:58 UTC. The full logs are
available at
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-3/2016-10-10/fedora-join_october_10_2016.2016-10-10-15.00.log.html

Meeting summary
---------------
* rollcall  (FranciscoD, 15:01:17)
  * F25 Beta is GO, release on October 11, 2016 (TOMORROW!)
    (FranciscoD, 15:06:11)
  * Static blog generators - Pelican (Python) is already in Fedora and
    now Jekyll (Ruby) will also be included  (FranciscoD, 15:07:09)
  * LINK: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Jekyll   (FranciscoD,
    15:07:16)
  * Odoo (the world's easiest all in one management software) will also
    be included in Fedora  (FranciscoD, 15:08:03)
  * LINK: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Odoo   (FranciscoD,
    15:08:06)
  * Discussion on devel list: "PROPOSAL: Blocking the release is our
    only "big hammer" -- let's add a softer one."  (FranciscoD,
    15:09:14)
  * LINK:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/de...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/IGT4TGHJZK6442JM4VLBRSPCW6DKTUPI/
    (FranciscoD, 15:09:18)

* announcements  (FranciscoD, 15:09:54)
  * discussion over offline updates (again): "PSA: Do not run 'dnf
    update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora
    24"  (FranciscoD, 15:10:31)
  * LINK:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/de...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/7ULAG243UNGTOSL6URGNG23GC4B6X5GB/
    (FranciscoD, 15:10:36)

* Agenda  (FranciscoD, 15:12:36)
  * LINK:

https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-3/2016-09-26/fedora_join_26_sept_2016.2016-09-26-15.02.log.html
    (FranciscoD, 15:13:45)
  * Follow up discussion from last meeting over clarification of SIG's
    specific goals, targets, tasks  (FranciscoD, 15:14:22)
  * LINK:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/fedora-join@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/WSO4B2YIJJQRQGG6SJMKSIEMWQGG7XJR/
    (FranciscoD, 15:14:37)
  * Fedora-Join general goal: "Make it easier for people to join the
    community and contribute"  (FranciscoD, 15:15:22)
  * Goal is *too* general - in the sense that this can entail a myriad
    of activities  (FranciscoD, 15:15:39)
  * For eg, CommOps working on streamlining onboarding process of
    different teams already  (FranciscoD, 15:15:59)
  * Our specific aim is given here:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Join_SIG#Aim  (FranciscoD,
    15:16:55)
  * "The Fedora Join SIG aims to set up and maintain channels that let
    prospective contributors engage with the community."  (FranciscoD,
    15:17:06)
  * we want to be a general place where contributors and prospective
    contributors can hang out and each can benefit from the relationship
    (FranciscoD, 15:17:56)
  * Hubs have an onboarding section  (FranciscoD, 15:23:43)
  * Hubs have a help widget that lists tasks people need help with
    (FranciscoD, 15:23:56)
  * Hubs include workflow to enable people to create FAS and sign CLA
    etc  (FranciscoD, 15:24:20)
  * LINK:

https://pagure.io/fedora-hubs/issue/raw/files/9998995815383a6f392ed567f0fe26966e76236030c1f5b510d79eaf20391d34-HelpWidgetFinal.png
    (FranciscoD, 15:26:08)
  * usually, someone turns up, after some surfing picks a team to join
    up, introduces themselves to the team members, gets to know them,
    works, makes friends, maybe even finds a mentor in the team, maybe
    begins to help another team later and then makes friends there, and
    repeat.  (FranciscoD, 15:28:20)
  * someone turns up, finds us cool contributors hanging around here,
    speaks to us, makes friends, gets to know how the community works,
    our philosophy (and finds it awesome) and what teams we have, finds
    a mentor (community mentor as opposed to team specific mentor),
    picks one or more teams to work in, becomes a part of the community,
    not just a specific team in the community.  (FranciscoD, 15:28:51)
  * newbies are not limited to team specific relationships  (FranciscoD,
    15:29:49)
  * newbies that join together can work together, even if they work in
    different teams (we're all always closer to our classmates than to
    seniors/juniors)  (FranciscoD, 15:29:57)
  * they get a much better overall idea of how the community functions
    and are exposed to the workflows of different teams through us
    (including tooling, admin, process, goals, tasks, ninjas)
    (FranciscoD, 15:30:08)
  * they go on to develop into contributors that also have a good idea
    of how the multiple arms of the community work to keep Fedora going
    (FranciscoD, 15:30:17)
  * AGREED: (+1:4, 0:0, -1:0) Fedora Join limit itself to forming and
    maintaining channels that let prospective contributors engage with
    the community. The Aims on the wiki page stand:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Join_SIG#Aim  (FranciscoD,
    15:44:47)

* open floor  (FranciscoD, 15:45:06)
  * Point people with hybrid issues to updated spins: F24-20161001
    updated lives available: http://tinyurl.com/Live-respins2  Thanks to
    the community of maintainers and seeders  (FranciscoD, 15:46:30)
  * ACTION: FranciscoD bug jflory7 for feedback on today's decision to
    confirm  (FranciscoD, 15:47:13)
  * ACTION: FranciscoD send out mails and summary  (FranciscoD,
    15:47:39)

Meeting ended at 15:48:20 UTC.

Action Items
------------
* FranciscoD bug jflory7 for feedback on today's decision to confirm
* FranciscoD send out mails and summary

Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* FranciscoD
  * FranciscoD bug jflory7 for feedback on today's decision to confirm
  * FranciscoD send out mails and summary
* jflory7
  * FranciscoD bug jflory7 for feedback on today's decision to confirm
* **UNASSIGNED**
  * (none)
--
Thanks,