Hello, all.

I am a currently a professor at a local college in my lovely city, and I've written some labs that include testing desktop environments on both CentOS and Fedora.  To install Cinnamon, you need to install "epel-release".  Well, unfortunately, as of a couple of weeks ago, Cinnamon is no longer supported through the epel-release because the maintainer has stopped supporting it. (Knowledge gained from my minor research on the topic).

Apparently anyone can become a maintainer, and I would much rather help bring Cinnamon back into the fold, rather than rewrite the labs I've created to exclude this wonderful desktop environment.

My issue is, and has always been, that I don't know where to begin.  I've made this request quite a few times over the last 10 years I've been a part of this group, but there is still no simple walk-through to learn the processes, bug reporting systems, or whatever is needed to become someone that can take a software repo and create a support system/build for CentOS.

People have told me in the past to do A or B, but they speak in a language that people like me don't understand.  I am able to program in various languages, I've been a network admin for 15 years, I have been a prof for the last 2 years, but the systems that the Red Hat umbrella of distros uses, is not something that is taught in colleges or even in books from what I've seen.

Can someone help me understand where I need to go, who I need to talk to and where I can find the resources to take on such a task?

Thank you.