I wish their was a Windows port of Pages.  I really like the stripped-down
version of it on the iPad.

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Raymond E. Feist <[email protected]>wrote:

>
> On Jun 2, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Nat Russo wrote:
>
> > Hi Ray,
> >
> > I have a question that seems to be more about your working process, as
> opposed to your writing process.  Do you find it more convenient to keep
> all of your chapters together in a single file, or do you break them out
> into individual files?
> >
> > The reason for the question is I've recently found myself needing to use
> more than one word processor.  As odd as it sounds, I don't always have
> access to my laptop and Microsoft Word.  During those times, I grab my
> bluetooth keyboard and my iPad and find a quiet place to work.  On the iPad
> I use Pages.  This works, for the most part, but I often struggle with
> formatting issues (e.g. "double spaced" doesn't always have the same
> definition from one program to the next), and this requires some tedious
> manual labor to get everything back in proper order after an import/export.
>  I've been playing with the idea of separating the chapters of my book into
> individual files so that the "damage" is more contained, but I'm not sure
> if this is a "no, you shouldn't do that", "yes it's preferred", or
> "whatever works".
> >
> > It also occurred to me that there's a greater potential for loss of work
> if everything is in a single file.  Just curious about your thoughts and
> work process.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Nat
> >
> > --
> > Sent from my Crappy Laptop (tm) using a poor excuse for a web browser.
> >
>
>
>
> All I use is Pages and when it's time to send files to my publisher I just
> export them as Word and I'm done with it.  I actually prefer Pages by a
> large margin.
>
> As for the rest, I keep each chapter as a single file.  Because I send
> them to my editors as I finish the 1st drafts.  However, when they come
> back to me as a single file, it's really easy to check continuity and
> things like that by simple searches within one big file.  One of the
> reasons for the continuity disaster in Crown was we didn't have time for
> that step and I sent back the wrong version of a file.
>
> Anyway, do what works for you and you're the most comfortable with.
>
> Best, R.E.F.
> ----
> www.crydee.com
>
> Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by
> stupidity.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


-- 
Sent from my Crappy Laptop (tm) using a poor excuse for a web browser.

Reply via email to