Message no. 2

Sally in San Jose
--- Begin Message ---

Here is more info on my friend's cat who is ill. Does anyone have any ideas??

"Technically this is mainly Saturday night's update...But nonetheless...

They ran blood work again, and her electrolytes were down.  So they went
with a different IV than they were planning to (they were going to do an IV
with dextrose).  They got her on an IV, pain medicine and antibiotic
(injectable) and then waited 3-4 hours after I dropped her off, and gave her
some cat food by force feeding.  She kept it down.

I called at 6:00 this morning and the doctor said she had done well for him
all night---he had given her more cat food (he said "WD" --- not AD --- so
not sure who makes one called WD or what it is exactly) and that she kept it
down.  He said "she is holding her own."

I asked him to level with me and tell me how bad he thinks she is---he said
"No, ma'am, she's truly holding her own right now."    He said he realizes
the docs diagnosed hepatic lipidosis, but that they don't know the CAUSE of
it.  But for now...she's holding her own.

Okay---by definition "holding her own" would not include assisted feeding
(grin) but I appreciate what he's trying to say.  She's doing the best she
can be doing, all things considered.

They won't put a tube in her unless she is throwing up and not keeping food
down.

So...at 6:30 tomorrow morning I go and pick her up from the e-vet and take
her back to her regular vet, who is expecting her at 7:00.  Wait until he
finds out she's been at ER  all weekend.  WAIT UNTIL HE HEARS THE CONDITION
SHE WAS IN WHEN I PICKED HER UP SATURDAY!    I really don't think he has any
idea she had worsened since he last saw her on Friday night.

To me, she is still not jaundiced;  to the e-vet, they thought she may be
showing "a slight tinge to the ears."  Alan and I looked agian;  we still
don't agree.  She's a tortie, and she's always had dirty ears --- her ears
still looked normal to both of us.  We "shaded" her eat from the hallogen
bulbs, and believe it's her natural coloring that we're always used to.

So...the dilemma continues.

Remember...why she went in to begin with.  She wouldn't eat.  Took her in;
doc said she had a horrible UTI.  Prescribed zennequin.  We gave her
zennequin for about a week---no change.  He admitted her for 3 days;  when
she got out, she was dragging that back  leg and limping.    He thought they
had hit a nerve when giving a shot (the ER vet said she's never done that,
in 9 years of practice---thinks something else is going on).     Wouldn't
eat.  Back she went and was boarded a week while the ultrasound and needle
biopsy were done (normal except for "a few" stray white cells).  Her
pancreas was also deemed to be fine;  no kidney problems either.  She was on
injectable clavamox for a week.  Still no change to her UTI or eating.
And here we are.  :(

I am sure doc will put in a feedback tube tomorrow.  So I need to know WHICH
FEEDING TUBE to go with.  Keep in mind:   Hope is an overweight cat.
Well...okay, she "weighs" only about 12 pounds, but she's "round" and wears
it all around her "middle."    She can't get to her rear to clean herself
very well.  Her neck area is "thick."    She has a  UTI.   With all that in
mind...which feeding tube might be the way to go?    I know doc  may do the
nose/throat one at the vet  to get stuff into her...but is that the best one
if she has to have it in 1-4 WEEKS???   Or should we go with one that goes
straight to the stomach?   Or is the risk of infection too great for that?"

Ann

<FONT COLOR="#000099">In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
</FONT><A
HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/Zh0wlB/TM";><B>Click
Here!</B></A>