From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Cherie A Gabbert
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 2:49 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: how to best sterilize a kitty condo?

Kerry,
That sounds great, you can use Health Guard 1Tbsp per quart, no rinsing.
Cherie

Kerry MacKenzie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi all
Can someone please tell me what the best way to sterilize a pre-used
carpet-covered kitty condo would be? (It's the type that Petsmart/Petco
sells, and it's tall---5'8" and totally carpet-covered.)
I acquired it this morning, free, through freecycle.org (thanks so much
Melissa for spreading the word about freecycle months ago!) and I'm thrilled
because I've wanted a nice, high condo for my bunch since they moved in.
It's easy to bleach plastic items (and easy to rinse them so that there's no
lingering bleach smell), and you can throw small fabric items in the washing
machine, but I'm not quite sure how to proceed with the kitty condo...I'd
like to avoid bleach if possible because I think it'll be hard to get rid of
the bleach smell. And cats are so sensitive to smell.
I looked up the archives and wondered about using the spray bottle method
(would that be 30:1 water/bleach ratio?). How would I rinse the bleach off
afterwards tho? This kitty condo is way too big to dunk in the bath.
A thought: does anyone know if freezing temperatures would do the job? We
have plenty of THAT here in Chicago right now, and I wondered if a night on
the porch when it's below freezing would sterilize the kitty condo?
Thanks you wonderful guys for any ideas.
Kerry