What can I say, Sally----apart from how grateful I am to you for the
trouble you once again took yesterday.
Speaking to Judy throughout the day and evening, it seemed that your
advice is pretty well how it happened. She allowed Moo Shui to do and be
however she wished (e.g., drinking, not eating; and seeking a place on
her own, but sometimes wanting to be with Judy). She was then extremely
fortunate in finding a housecall vet who could not have been more
compassionate (the 2 housecall vets I've used were not particularly
compassionate--not even the one who calls himself "the Compassionate
Vet"!), explained the process to her very patiently and gently over the
phone, and came to her house in the evening, and again took as much time
as was required for Moo Shui's and Judy's comfort.
A sedative was given, which apparently takes 5-10 mins to kick in.
Having already taken Moo Shui to an emergency clinic and vet earlier in
the week, she knew she did not want to go that route for Moo Shui's
final moments.
I had talked to Judy earlier in the week about my calling an AC, but she
was highly sceptical, so I didn't push it yesterday.
This is the first time Judy has had to deal with a pet death, and it
seemed to go as "well" as it possibly could. I think that will make
acceptance easier for her and her remaining dog.
I know I will also have to deal with this eventuality again, as we all
do, so I'm especially grateful for your advice. Having this knowledge
makes a world of difference.
thank you again, Sally,
Kerry