From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Hideyo Yamamoto
Sent:
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 10:20 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Uh-oh-oh update -pls help!!

I took Uh-oh-oh to the vet yesterday afternoon – and here’s what I found out –

The good news was he was negative on FeLV/FIV (thank god!) on ELISA – When they did in house PCV test, his HCT was 44 which was very good.  But I also had them sent out the blood work for the total body function so that I can find out what’s going on with him –

And here’s a sort of bad news, and I am not sure what’s going on – and I need your help to understand it.

His PCV (HCT) was much lower than the results from the house, which is 32, but still within the normal range of 29 to 48 –

But his RBC and HGB was extremely low.  RBC is 1.8 (normal range 5.92 to 9.93) and HGB was 5.2 (range 9.3 to 15.9).  His WBC was normal.  His MCH was high 28.2 (range 11-21) and MCHC was high as well as 75 (range 30 to 38).  There was a comment underneath says “the sample appears hemolyzed.  Hematorit by manual method”. Which I was not sure what it meant.  His blood parasites came as negative.  Back in January, we also did PCR test of Hematot (sorry, can’t spell, but it’s for FIA) and came back as negative – what do you think going on?  The fact that his RBC is now from 5.6 (in January) to 1.8 (yesterday) – does this mean that his is not producing blood – what does it mean??  How come his HCT is normal?  (what does HCT mean?  Please help me understand what’s going on with Uh-oh-oh (I left a message with my vet to discuss this further, also)

Hideyo & Uh-oh-oh