From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nina
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 11:59 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: OT:Tonya - killing ferals

Tonya,
I can't believe you would advocate killing ferals as a way to help their plight!  Yes, their life is dangerous and they do sometimes suffer, but that doesn't mean they should be put to death.  We humans are so conditioned to our relative safety that we sometimes forget how hard life can be on wild animals, on all wild animals.  How many opossums, racoons and squirrels are killed each day on our highways, or poisoned from insecticides?  Would you advocate systematically terminating any species not under our direct protection?  I maintain a small feral colony and have cats that are healthy, happy and content in their circumstances.  Even if all we can do is trap, neuter, administer one round of vaccines, and release them, they are still better off than if we turn our backs on them all together.  Cats that are neutered are much less likely to fight and spread disease among themselves, if they are lucky enough to have a caretaker put out food for them they will live in harmony.  They can and do, live, full, rich, happy lives.  How arrogant it is to assume that only when they are in our houses and under our direct care are they able to be happy to be alive.  Humans are the direct cause of these cats circumstances, the least we can do is step up and accept the responsibility of helping to maintain their numbers.  Believe me, I understand the discomfort of thinking about these cats suffering and dieing out there alone, but killing them before their time is not the answer.

Nina

catatonya wrote:
Unless you can find a VERY safe place for the ferals and be sure there's someone to take care of them, I tend to agree with PETA.  Even if the ferals have someone 'watching out' for them, I'm sure many of them are killed by dogs, hit by cars, shot, etc.... I think it's a very rough life for most ferals and in many cases it would have been better to put them to sleep.  I see their point of view.

I can not believe PETA!!!!!!!  They used to be known as the most radical animal rights group around (at the time that I did belong to them).  This is welfarism at its very, very worst.  How can a group that says it is an animal rights group advocate catching and killing animals? Isn't the right to live out your life without being killed the most basic of rights? Without that right, what good is any other? They are insane.  I stopped contributing to them years ago based on other stances they took that I thought were crazy, but their position on ferals tops the cake.
Michelle