Tonya,
What you went through with those dogs is heart wrenching! How awful for you and the dogs. I should have known there was a story like that behind your comments.

>> My opinion is sometimes trapping and euthanizing is the best we can do for them. And these are domestic animals, whether they be feral from the fault of humans or not, it's a hard life for the adults and horrible for the kittens. :(

While there may have been no alternative for those poor feral dogs, it's not the same for feral cats. Dogs pose a danger to the humans in their territory in a way cats never could. Wild cats are fringe dwellers, it's rare to even see a truly feral cat, let alone be threatened by one. They don't hunt in packs and don't pose a threat to humans or domestic pets, (unless of course they are disease ridden, but that is not what we're talking about here).

You're right, I still don't agree with trapping and killing healthy cats, just in case they might come to a bad end. I believe where there is life there is hope. TNR is the only humane answer I have found to help alleviate the sometimes horrible suffering of cats and kittens in the colonies. However they got to be feral, whether born to it, or dumped and truly reverted, if it's not possible to socialize them, I think they have a right to remain free to live their lives. I don't think we're going to change each other's minds on this subject. But I can't help voicing mine!

Nina

catatonya wrote:

Thank you Tamara,
I know everyone won't agree on this. I've worked with ferals, and I've done spay releases, and I've seen situations that were so bad nothing else could be done....
I fed a PACK of nearly 20 feral dogs for 2 years, trying to make some progress. These dogs were so wild they would chase me when I took them food! I spent many days running, turning back to 'face them off', trying to get the puppies out before they became feral, etc.... It was a lose, lose, lose situation. I spent thousands of dollars and millions of tears. I finally had to let animal control go in and trap and euthanize those dogs. It was heartbreaking, but there was no PLACE for them to live, and no hope of socializing them.
I've seen cats in construction areas where they were killed because buildings were being demolished, cats crushed in dumpsters, etc..... My opinion is sometimes trapping and euthanizing is the best we can do for them. And these are domestic animals, whether they be feral from the fault of humans or not, it's a hard life for the adults and horrible for the kittens. :(

*/tamara stickler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate:
I have been active in the animal rescue field for most of my
life. I have walked into alleyways in crack neighborhoods, by
myself, to feed ferals and do rescues. I have spent more money
than any "sane" person should on strays, and even have driven
across several states to place the "unadoptable" because of all
I've seen, I HAD TO SEE THE HOME FOR MYSELF, because I DO know
first hand, that there ARE places worse than death. Situations
worse than death. "Loving, forever homes" sponsored by legit
rescues and good people...worse than death.
I'm not advocating the killing of ferals, by any means! But I can
understand the "reality" behind the decision. Not everyone will go to the end of the world for a cat or dog that
they didn't specifically choose......We (I am including everyone
of you on this list) few are the exception....and as you all
know...there's just not enough of us to go around.
I've worked in shelters. I've volunteered at no-kills. There
have been animals at both where even I have voiced..."Enough." NOT because they weren't worth the trouble...but because there are
so few who would take the trouble.
As for ferals, we do need to understand that many just don't
choose to deal with humans...either because of past experiences or
for their own reasons. But, they are intelligent, whole beings
with their own needs and desires and should be treated respecting
this....
I'm not certain there is an absolute right answer here...I'm not
pretending to know.
Would I actively support the killing of ferals? NO. Is it
possible for me understand why some do?...unfortunately, when
you've seen what I've seen ...yes.
But faced with the matter first hand, I'd still prob. go into the
poor house first...but I won't condemn those who draw the line either.
Tamara

    */"MacKenzie, Kerry N." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

I agree with Nina.
I think it's conflicting and difficult enough to make a
decision to euthanize when an animal is terminally ill and
suffering---one is torn between desperately not wanting the
animal in our care to suffer any more, and making this
momentous and /irreversible decision on the part of another
living and helpless creature./
So, we have absolutely no business taking the perfectly
content lives of animals into our own hands because of what/
may/ happen to them in the future. Re PETA, I am very disappointed in that organization--it seems
to have become confused in its old age.
PETA will not be getting $$$ from me.
Kerry