It sounds like you've got a fabulous vet.  That helps sooooo much!  My Ninja had odd pupil issues too - different dilation in each eye and it would vary.  Her ocular pressure was tested (for uveitis, which can cause dilation problems) and it was actually low, so no uveitis.  Her vision seemed fine though.  Keep us posted on the Virbagen Omega!!  That would be soooo cool!

Marlene Chornie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello All,

    It's been almost a month since I first found and posted to this group.  I'd like to thank you all for the warm and supportive welcome.  So much has happened in that month, that it's taken me this long to "collect my thoughts" with understanding everything.
    First of all, Pekoe & Digby were adopted from a local SPCA (in Ontario, Canada), in July/04.  7 months later (Feb. 18th), Pekoe (now 16 mos. old) tested FelV+ and was anaemic - his PCV (Hematocrit) was 17% (Normal Range by our vet lab is 24 - 45%).  Digby (now 21 mos. old) also tested FelV+ the next day.  Both were tested with the ELISA blood test.  Confirmation for both with the IFA Test was also Pos.  Our vet suspected that Pekoe's anaemia was due to Hemobart, so he was immediately started on Doxycycline for 3 wks.  He did test Pos. for Hemobart.  Digby was Neg. for Hemobart. The lab where some of the tests were sent to, had recently acquired the necessary equipment to do PCR testing, and offered to do the test for both cats for free - I believe the PCR test was in relation to the Hemobart?

    Pekoe had a Serum Profile done, and the only abnormal results were:
- Total Bilirubin = 8 umol/L (Normal Range = 0 - 3)
- Conjugated Bilirubin = 3 umol/L (Normal Range = 0 - 1)
- Free Bilirubin = 5 umol/L (Normal Range = 0 - 3)

    Digby had a Complete Blood Count and Serum Profile done, and the only abnormal results were:
- MCHC = 296 g/L (Normal Range = 300 - 344)
- Lipase = 26 U/L (Normal Range = 29 - 77)

    Pekoe responded very well to the Doxycycline.  His PCV was rechecked just two days ago, and is now 38%!!  Our vet ran a quick blood slide for the Hemobart again, and there were some "suspicious" cells still present, so he's on another 3 wk. course of the Doxycycline, while the blood sample is sent out to the lab that ran it the first time.  I believe they said his anaemia was regenerative - not non-regenerative?  In addition to all this, Pekoe has had two bouts with roundworms since we adopted him.  The first bout was 3 mos. after we adopted him, the second bout was 3 mos. after that.  They're both indoor cats, and we learned that the shelter where they came from was not administering deworming medication correctly - they were only giving 1 dose with no repeats at specified intervals!  We used Drontal the first time, and Py-ra-pam the second time.  We're not sure if he's going to develop another worm load again, but if he does, our vet is recommending Advantage Multi.  Apparently, it's something relatively new, and is supposed to not only kill the adult worms, but the larvae as well?
    Other than that, they're both doing quite well.  They eat well - although Pekoe is a little overweight (14 lbs.), so we've cut back his dry food some.  They've been on high quality canned and dry food ever since we adopted them.  Pekoe has somewhat "restricted" vision, believed to be caused by being malnourished at a young age when his eyesight would have been developing.  His pupils are dilated most of the time, but do constrict in natural bright light.  As our vet put it - "he's like the kid in school that had to wear thick glasses".  Because of this, he's not as active as Digby, so that would account partly for his weight.
    Our vet has discussed with us about possible future use of Virbagen Omega Interferon.  At this point, she doesn't think she'll start the use of anti-virals, as both of them are asymptomatic.
    In a previous post, I had asked if anyone knew if the Virbagen Omega Interferon was available for use in Canada yet.  I found the article I had read about that, and it said that recent word from the manufacturer projects availability in Canada in May, 2005.  Hope that's true!

    I'm so very glad I found this group!  I was a member of a CRF Support Group and gained a wealth of information and support from them when I was treating our "Casper".  As I mentioned in my initial post, we successfully treated him for 4 yrs., until we had to help him cross the bridge in July/04 at the ripe old age of 20 yrs. 5 mos.

Best Wishes to All,
Marlene

"My cat the clown: paying no mind to whom he should impress. Merely living his life, doing what pleases him, and making me smile."
- Anonymous

Do you Yahoo!?