They make flagyl in flavored 'treats' now...  Your vet should be able to get you some.

Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Julie,
I'm calling my vet today to see if we can have the Dox compounded into a flavored liquid.  Grace has been using it on and off for a long time now.  Michelle Rose, the liaison at my vet's office, told me she has a human friend that swallowed Dox dry (must be a rocket scientist), and burned a hole in his esophagus!  I'm also going to ask them if there is another antibiotic that's comparable to Dox, that's not so darn toxic, I'll let you know what they say.

My house-call vet found me some liquid Flagil for Gypsy's IBD that didn't taste bad at all, she happily ate it 2x daily for 15 days straight mixed in with some chicken liver, (then she stopped eating all together).  He said he gets it in Mexico, if you'd like, I'll pump him for more info about it.  Gypsy's condition continues to be just retched, but she's showing improvement now that I have her on a raw-diet.  It's the only thing I've found that has shown any benefit, and I've tried alot of different things.  I didn't want to run out and purchase a meat grinder etc. because I could just picture jumping through all these hoops to prepare her raw diet, placing the bowl in front of her and having her turn her skinny little nose up at it.  I took the easy way and I've been ordering "Instincts TC" from Feline Future Cat Food, http://www.felinefuture.com/products/order.php
and mixing it with muscle meats, liver and hearts.  For the first time in a very long time Gypsy's stool has consistency!  I've also started giving her "Gentle Naturals, Tummy Soother".  It's for human babies with tummy upset.  It contains Chamomile, Ginger and Fennel.  I just started her on it yesterday, but she seems to be feeling better.  Chamomile was one of the things suggested to me for nausea, and ginger is good for diarrhea.  If you haven't joined the IBD group, you really should.  I'm on digest mode with it, and haven't posted to it yet, but their suggestions have really helped me.  Keep me updated on Coco's progress.
Nina

Julie Johnson wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was just talking with my vet Friday night about this very thing.  Coco has been quite ill and they have diagnosed IBD.  One of the medications he's on right now is Flagyl which tastes wretched.  Wendy mentioned not to put that one in food because kitty will take a bite, see how yucky it is and then not eat.  I mentioned that I only put meds in food for the ferals and everyone else gets a syringe of water after a pill so hopefully it wouldn't leave too much of a taste in his mouth. I read the start of a study on this topic by the Winn Feline Foundation a few years ago; could never find the end of the study, but it made sense to me.  How very uncomfortable it must feel, too!

As we were talking about it, she mentioned that doxycycline is infamous for it's potential to cause damage.  I'm not using it, but she did say that my method of syringing in about 3cc's of water would really minimize problems with that drug.  Even if it's being given in a liquid form, I think 'flushing' with a water chaser would be a good idea.

Hope this helps!!

Julie

"I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is
to protection by man from the cruelty of man. "

by the way its animals are treated."

Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948)

Paws Come WITH Claws!!!

If you're thinking about de-clawing your cat, you need to re-think your decision to acquire a pet.

Do you Yahoo!?