Title: Message
> Dogs have their own body language that makes it quite clear, BEFORE biting is EVER an option that tells another dog or a person, "Hey, man, I'm not too keen on you being so close to me."  We do dogs a huge diservice by not recognizing their subtle cues and we do our children an even worse diservice by not teaching them how to properly approach a strange dog.

So we all need to take classes to learn dog body language, just in case someone's pitbull gets loose?

> I'm willing to bet that many of the victims of these attacks were children who were never around the dogs on a consistant basis.

Exactly. Again, the big difference here is the ability to kill. It's very rare to hear about other breeds actually killing someone. Every damn time it's a pitbull or similar. There's simply no way to justify breeding or purchasing one of these animals.

Benefit = the joy of owning a good pet. Probably nobody gets killed. Pretty high benefit, I agree.
Cost = potential death for poor shmuck that doesn't know dog body language. Off the charts cost. Completely voids any benefit.

> See, the problem with trying to legislate based on breed (ie. special licensing, expensive insurance, etc.) is that the crappy owners, the owners who breed their dogs to fight, aren't exactly the kind of people who are considered "law-abiding citizens," see what I mean?

That's the same excuse people use for keeping hand guns legal. You gotta start somewhere don't you? I agree it's not a simple issue. I'm sure there's plenty of factors that would make legislation unworkable anyway. I just really believe that anyone buying or breeding a pit is contributing to the industry and adding to the problem.

-Kyle