-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of TenHouseCats
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:32 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: need help - a negative, later positive - ?

bottom line seems to be that ANY cat that tests positive for FeLV
needs to be retested in 90 days.... the problem, of course, is that
what rescue/shelter has the holding capacity for this....

i've been thinking about this for awhile--whether folks with confirmed
FeLVs would be willing/able to work with rescues and serve as foster
parents during the waiting period. as we know, many cats will retest
as negative if given the chance, but the panic induced by the term
FeLV makes it hard for rescues to hear about options if they haven't
already a plan for dealing with cats who test positive. (i'm working
with two breed rescues right now re: developing such a plan... )

another issue involved: we tell people NOT to euthanize their FeLVs
because we love ours, but not everyone can handle the emotional and
financial demands a FeLV involves--but how many of us realistically
can/will offer to take in these saved cats? i don't know what the
answer is--tho education is DEFINITELY part of it; i've had both
rescues and catparents calm down enough to look at alternatives once
they're given  accurate information on what FeLV is and isn't, how
it's transmitted etc.

i'd really like to see this discussed--even better, to see it solved!
(yeah, right.... and how long have i been delusional?)