okay, first word back from the experts is that it probably would NOT be a good idea to put a cat who might be fighting off the virus in with positives--if the immune system is busy fighting off the virus to start with, it doesn't need the added stress..... especially since there are different strains of the virus--once more, the limits of my knowledge: i KNOW there are different strains, but i tend to forget about it since i don't really understand it...

a virology instructor at u of m (ann arbor) has been contacted for more details...

so--that would limit fostering to those people/places who have room to segregate kitties for the retesting period. OR to homes with healthy, vaccinated negatives.

which doesn't change the need for foster homes for definite, re-tested and confirmed, positives who need a safe place to live while placement efforts go on.

(i know we can't save even all the healthy cats who need homes--am i being completely unrealistic about even trying to save the FeLVs???? should i just accept that the very limited number of FeLV homes we have are all that's possible right now, and let this go? i do not feel objective enough to answer that question for myself....)

--
MaryChristine

AIM / YAHOO: TenHouseCats
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]