Just another trick to add to the files-- had to take Quincy, my negative, to the vet today (he has crystals).  He is the hardest cat to get in a carrier, and I have been scratched and bitten a lot trying to get him in (backwards, forwards, carrier on side, etc.).  I have devised a fool-proof method for getting him in on one try. I put him on his little cat bed and then fold the sides of the cat bed up against him so he can't move and just his head is sticking out (the vet called it a "Quincy taco"-- that is how I fold the sides of the cat bed up), and then I just shove the whole package, bed and Quincy, into the carrier. Since I started doing this, I can get him in on one try with no harm to either of us.  He's in before he knows what's happening.
Michelle