Gloria,
Tom is a year & a half. He is a beautiful cat. I have been trying like crazy to find him a home. I put two ads in the paper. first one was no response. The second was was a $45 ad. Two response, but they did not sound like ideal homes for Tom. I am not giving him up to just any body and I just can't bring myself to have him put to sleep like one vet said to do. He is so sweet & wants to please you in every way that he can. I have put up posters and even contacted people from other states. I have tried San Antonio, Dallas & Houston. Do you have any other ideals? I just hope none of my other kitties get this. Tom has the serious type. They said it is in the bone marrow and he has about three years to live. He had the IFA test.

"Gloria B. Lane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Barbara, Welcome to the list - sorry if it's a rocky beginning.

How old is he?

I would think, in Austin, you might be able to find an FELV home, either
singly or with others FELV cats. However, please be aware that the virus
is not a very hearty, and lots of veterinarians have different attitudes
(and knowledge) about FELV. You're lucky that your vet isn't one that
euthanizes immediately.

However, the virus is not considered that contagious; it dies farely
rapidly on contact with the air. (Unlike those URI viruses). So at least
for the time you have Tom, he's not that much of a risk for your kitties.

Although your vet is following the "party line", many of us do mix our
positives with our negatives, if simply because the virus is so fragile,
not that contagious, and there's a lot not known about it. Many also use
daily interferon to keep the virus in check.

You might try some rescues in or around Austin, in Nacogdoches, San
Antonio, Dallas, etc. If you want some suggestions for those let me know
and I'll look some up.

Gloria
in Little Rock (with 2 FELV positives, and 3 FELV angels at the Bridge)