I sometimes wonder about where the compassionate feelings many so-called humans seem to be lacking, disappeared to---now I know. the beauty, the strengh, the love, the joy for animals did not just dissipate into the air--they all found a home in Debbie.
blessed be all who rescue.
barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: catatonya
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 1:07 AM
Subject: get out the tissues!

Jul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: "Jul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:27:39 -0000
Subject: [kittycityrescue] Fwd: |!| What is a Rescuer? |!|

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Saigh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]...>
wrote:
In honor of two lost lives, and a tribute to rescuers everywhere.
The Debbie mentioned in this essay is Debbie Dawn Sage, of FRIENDS of
the ANIMALS, of Raytown, MO/Topeka, KS.

And yes, I wrote it.

- Saigh

     It was a sunny Saturday morning, bright but not hot, breezy but
neither cold nor harsh.  Even if the three of us were in varying
states of displeasure about being awake and moving at this hour on a
weekend, it was a perfect day for transporting animals.  Blaidd was a
smoldering presence in the seat next to me, still understandably
upset that we'd had to leave Piper at home and likely to be for the
rest of the day, as well as still in the dangerous condition of not
having had any Coke since waking; Caer was still giggly and tired in
the back seat from lack of sleep, though trying not to let it show by
making harmless, random comments to which neither person in the front
seat was really responding.  And me?  I wasn't really caring either
way at that point - all I was concentrating on was getting to the
meeting point on time, which doesn't sound like such a difficult task
unless you know me and the way that for some reason logic warps
around me.  I can start out thirty minutes
early and still be ten minutes late.  A unique talent, I guess.

     Approximately an hour later, we had met our charges for the day,
exchanged quite a bit of interaction with the handing off driver who
also happened to be the coordinator of this run, gassed up Spud (the
rescue mobile - a '93 Oldsmobile; anyone see the difficulty yet?),
gotten Blaidd some Coke, watered all three dogs, exchanged parting
hugs and wishes with our contact, and settled everyone in the car.
The Golden brothers quickly appropriated the back seat, one
stretching across the entirety of it with his head in Caer's lap, the
other still too excited about new surroundings and new people to even
care or really notice that he was thereby forced to stand up; the
Pointer occupied the space Piper normally would, first standing then
sitting and eventually laying on the bench seat between myself and
Blaidd in the front.   We rolled down the windows, cranked the AC,
and departed the service station for the three hour drive ahead of us
in much better spirits.  After all - everyone
fit, and that's all we could really ask or hope for.

     I merged onto the highway, and settled into a good driving
speed.  The mood in the car was high - we'd just witnessed a three-
legged, skin and bones beagle being delivered into the hands of his
new foster or adoptive home (I think adoptive, though that wasn't
made abundantly clear), and the skeleton of a pointer next to us was
going to have a chance at life outside the Animal Control shelter
where none of the animals were fed and barely watered as they simply
waited for their turn to die.  I knew we were behind, but it was well
worth it; I was calculating how late we would be by the time we got
to our own drop off point, and how many miles we would have on the
tank before needing to fill up again, when I glanced up to the road
and felt my heart sink.  I'd seen the body lying on the side of the
road... the dog lover in me immediately whispered beagle... just as
the logic told me dead...  I felt the familiar numbness lock up my
chest as happens every time I see an animal on the
side of the road, but magnified as the question was begged What were
you doing out here? of an obvious pet lying by a busy four lane
highway, 20 minutes by car from any of the nearest cities or houses
that could be seen...  Before I could notice the other critical
detail I heard Blaidd beside me, voice tense: "That was Debbie...
Stop.  Stop... it's Debbie."  My numb heart sank lower, and I hit the
brakes.

    We backed down the shoulder of the highway, I surprisingly not
even flinching at how close and how fast the cars that didn't move
over for us shuddered past; all that mattered was getting closer to
that red Chevy pulled over off the highway, its back door open and
its driver walking a weaving path back towards the beagle.  What'd
happened?  Why had Debbie stopped for the beagle?  A brief, wild
guess flashed through my mind Oh shit... Cassidy... but I hadn't seen
it well enough to determine whether it had only three legs, and if it
was, where was the man we had just seen, thrilled to be taking the
poor creature home?  No one else had stopped.  No one else even
noticed.  No one else cared.  I tried to wrack my brain and think if
Debbie had had any other beagles in her truck back at the service
station; had a door not been fully closed, maybe?  But it didn't
strike me that Debbie would be that careless, and I was certain the
only things left in the back of Debbie's truck were
several empty dog crates, and one obsessive fluff ball that never
stopped digging at the corner of her crate while we were standing
there.  Then what?

     We were all three out of the car as quickly as we could, while
making sure our own three charges stayed inside, and all but running
down the shoulder to meet Debbie.  When we came around the truck, it
was to the sight of Debbie spreading out a towel or a sheet, and
lifting the poor dog's body onto it.  She was moving unsteadily but
quickly and before we could quite get there she had the dog wrapped
up and was carrying it back to her truck, head down.  Blaidd and Caer
were ahead of me, and as she stumbled by us, she sobbed. "There were
two of them... someone threw them out of a car, you guys.  They
didn't have a chance."  My own stride faltered and came to a halt,
unable to immediately process what I'd just been told.  Blaidd, Caer,
and I exchanged a look, and then separated.  They continued to the
spot where the dog had been.  I turned and followed Debbie.

     I helped drop the tailgate of Debbie's truck,  and stepped back
while she arranged the dog she had on top of the other sheet; I could
see the other dog's head where the sheet didn't cover it, and saw
that it had a collar.  There were two of them: a male and a female,
both with collars and tags.  Debbie said she'd seen them, and stopped
as quickly as she could; she'd run back to get the dog out of the
middle of the highway but had not been quick enough.  She had
retrieved the body and almost been hit herself in the process.  I
listened, but from a distance that was more mental than physical.
From eyes barely focused behind my sunglasses I finally looked away
from the two sheets with slowly spreading red stains, to where Debbie
was trying to rub the blood off her shaking hands, to Blaidd's blank
features and Caer helping hold Debbie up; it was hard.  In my mind I
kept seeing that flash of the dog laying on the shoulder of the
highway, and then Debbie staggering by, holding the
poor beagle tightly to her as if it were a child, or as if someone
might try to take it from her.  Protecting it, even though the damage
was already done, ready to defend it against anything else that might
try to harm it.  And as we parted ( Debbie to take the bodies to the
vet's and call the number on the tags so the owners would know what
happened, and us to pile back into the car and continue our
transport), as we each hugged Debbie tightly in hopes of giving her
the strength to see this tragedy through, and each returned to our
vehicles, Debbie said something that remained with me for the rest of
the day, into the night, to this morning.  This, as anyone who knows
me will tell you, is unusual... but I still remember very clearly:

"Tell those three how lucky they are.  Let them know that they're
going to be okay."

------------------------

     What is a rescuer?  Newspaper articles and television programs
show very different images.  Sometimes they are overworked county
employees with sad eyes and hard faces, who don't get excited about
anything because they know what faces them at the shelter tomorrow,
and the day after.  Sometimes they are eccentric, crazy old women who
steal dogs in the night and pass them on an underground railroad
while watching the owner's reaction with a network of spies.
Sometimes they're selfless, caring people who take in other people's
rejects and do their best for them, whatever that may be.  But there
is one common trait that every true rescue worker will exhibit, one
responsibility and cry that we all answer to above and beyond all
else, each and every time: We let these animals know that they're
going to be okay, whatever that entails... and then we make it so.

     We accept what other people have abused, neglected, overlooked,
or surrendered, and we make room for them because it's what we have
to do.  We soothe them while evaluating them for their files, we
comfort them while trying to get them to hold still for pictures, we
pity them as they wait in their kennels for someone who can and does
care only for them; rescue workers have hundreds of charges.  We comb
the negative funds for any loopholes to find them medical aide when
they need it, and we bombard every resource we can think of to get
them noticed, to get them home.  We beg, and plead, and bargain, and
network, and work into the late hours of the night to find them a
place; we bend over backwards to get them transport there, and
security.  We pass from their sight with a pat on the head, and a
whispered promise... You're going to be okay.

     It is our task to make sure that no one ever hurts them again.
They may have come from an abuse or neglect situation, but now they
are ours, and we will never raise a hand against them, never forget
or intentionally overlook them even for human comforts.  Now they are
ours, and we have control over who can take them home and call them
theirs; we question, and screen, and scrutinize, and in the end hope
we have made the right decision to let them go with these new
strangers or to keep them with us.  They are ours, and we do our best
to get them into homes that will protect them as fiercely as we do.

     And if no suitable home can be found... if their suffering has
rendered them faithless in the human race, or if they have been
driven beyond our ability to heal, then it is in our hands to make
certain that they will reach a safe haven as painlessly as possible.
We collect them from their cages and escort them gently down the
aisles, and hold their heads, and promise one last time in their ears
that everything's going to be alright.  And when they are gone, safe
from pain, fear, abuse, and neglect, we move to the next one.

     We question neglectful owners and scorn owners who would
surrender this animal that trusts them so completely; this animal
that will wait in its kennel until the day it dies for them to return
and take it home again, not knowing or understanding that they never
will.  But it's what we're given to work with; it's the situation we
have to make alright for them, so we set to the task.  We try to help
them understand what is acceptable in this confusing society of
humans, and what they will need to earn their way into the hearts of
those who keep walking (as if their existence weren't deserving
enough of endearment, they have to learn tricks and behaviors and how
to make themselves seem appealing though their bodies may not be the
definition of beauty).  We love these animals that we have never
known before, and may only know for a short time.  Hell, we love
animals we've never even met - we love them because they need us to
love them, and they need our help to be okay.  They need
us never to quit, never to surrender, and to never stop protecting
them.  And we never will.

      Debbie is a rescuer.  She was too late to save those beagles,
but she heard the call anyway and turned back.  She collected the
body from the road to spare it more abuse, she wrapped it in the only
shroud she had, and she carried it with protective, loving arms to
the safety of her truck and the closure of the vet's office.  When no
one else would stop, she very actually risked her life to protect
those beagles, and to bring them home.  To let them know... it's
alright.  You're okay.  No one will hurt you now.  To me, there is
nothing more admirable on this earth.

     Just a thought.