Dear  Kerry:

I remember reading in one of my vet books that sometimes, in extreme cases, a
male kitty needs to have his plumbing surgically restructured to make the
urethral opening bigger if he becomes repeatedly blocked and neither dietary
modification nor any other type of therapy seems to be helping to correct the
problem.

Personally, I've never known anyone who had to resort to this type of drastic
solution for dealing with UTI's in a male cat. I've only had one male cat who
ever got blocked and had to go to the vet to be catheterized and unplugged.
Since I put my cats on a raw-based diet, I've not had any more urinary
problems with male or female kittys.

Did the kitty in question survive the pecker-otomy and did it solve his
problem in getting blocked??  Did they suggest/try any dietary modification to
see
if that would help before subjecting this kitty to such drastic surgery?  It
does seem extreme to me.

Sally in San Jose