They usually actually put the needle in the neck, or in the inside rear thigh, to draw blood, because those are larger blood vessels, but yeah, it DOES suck! I always felt really bad for poor Sugar! I gave him lots of free time running around the office on Sundays when I was the only one in the office doing dog walks and cage cleaning! (he may still be there languishing in that 2x2 cage in his old age, at the Frayser Animal Clinic in Memphis TN)

Yes, there are pet blood banks, but it's more commonly done for dogs, rather than cats:

Jenn

I thought about that after the last transfusion. My vet mentioned that they had a cat on hand for doing transfusions. What an awful fate! Spending your life in a cage, waiting to have a needle stuck in your arm. I was definitely disturbed when I heard about this. That's why I offered to bring Brissle's littermate brother in as a donor. In Brissle's case with the first transfusion at our regular vet, the onsite cat had a different blood type. So my vet was kind enough to use his own cat as a donor. With my internist, I'm not sure. Can't they just draw the blood and store it? I was thinking this had to be the case with the internist, as they charged double what my vet charged ($400 vs $200). Probably not though. My internist is the only show in town. Plus his office is exquisite. You'd think they would cut down on overhead a bit to help their customers save some cash!
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.