while my Smoky isn't feral, if you're lounging on the couch and he's up in the crow's nest on the living room tree and you ignore him, he'll come to snuggle with you, but if you call him or watch him, he won't

Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
MC,
I've learned so much by quietly and closely observing how kitties interact with each other.  Spending time in their space pretending that you're not all that interested in them really works to pique their interest.  And of course food is a wonderful motivator!  Your line about "making a complete fool" of yourself made me laugh.  I've been known to slink to the ground and slowly roll, belly to the sky, arms outstretched, enticing anyone who might be interested to come closer and check out the extremely large ungraceful cat!
Nina

TenHouseCats wrote:
one of the things i learned from FirstCat, who thought her job was to
mother the world, was to pet ferals/unfriendlies WHILE they were
eating.... cats who wouldn't let her near them would get so absorbed
in eating that she'd groom them the whole time!

i also have found sitting in the same space with them, with a good
book, works--they WILL come up to explore you, and if you seem to
ignore them, that piques their curiousity.... once one lets you touch
them, if there are others, they watch the trusting one and that seems
to make them more willing to give you a chance, too. i sing to them,
sometimes read aloud, and often make a complete fool out of myself
rolling balls back and forth between my hands, playing with feather
toys on my own, etc.... leaving EVERYTHING up to them... i also very
specifically TELL them that they are safe, that no one will ever hurt
them again, that i am very sorry that they are scared and have had bad
experiences with humans in their past... it seems to work, tho perhaps
it's just that they feel sorry for this obviously deranged human....

http://www.athomevet.org/ is the website for the american association
of housecall veterinarians. i don't know how comprehensive it is, but
might be worthwhile checking out. i'm in an area with SIX housecall
vets so i'm incredibly spoiled. in addition, i know of a couple of
fixed-location vets in town who regularly do housecalls for clients
with rescue populations--they just don't admit it publicly! the
housecall vets here are no more expensive than regular vets, and in
many cases much less as they don't have the same overhead. likewise,
the fixed-location vets who do housecalls for large groups do not tend
to charge a premium for that--when it's not an emergency situation. it
can't hurt to ask your vet about it if they know your situation.....
for ferals and scaredy-cats, you just need to herd them into a smaller
space a few hours in advance!