going thru my cat care books. one mentions Biodent-a good general
nutritional supplement to benefit the mouth.a human product but vet can
order. contains bone meal, carrot powder, spleen and other nutrients that
create a healthier chemisty in tissue of mouth. takes time to work. for
inflamed gums,  the topical application of an herbal combinatin called
Echinacea-goldenseal supreme by gaia herbs-saurate a Q tip with the liquid
and run along gum line once a day or if condition severe, twice a day.  (tho
as I recall, echinacea made my cats foam at mouth...the taste.)
anitra frzier mentions an herbal remedy to soothe and heal sore and bleeding
gums--add 1/4 teaspooon salt to 1/2 cup strong lukewarm calendula and pat on
gums with a cotton ball. herbal remedies are usualy taken 3-4 times a day,
one to two teaspoons of tea for a cat, 1/2 t. for a kitten. another book
mentions calendula for general gum care-purchase a bottle of the mother
tincture-put 6 drops in 1 oz of distilled water --if gums are infected
already, use a cotton swab padded with extra cotton(from a cotton ball)so
tht it soaks up the liquid. (brushing would only irritate gums more). cover
both inside and outside of the gums(I guess they mean both sides of the
teeth)with the calendula.
hope some of this helps.  calendula is usually easy to find in a good health
food store.
interesting footnotes that the vets seem to feel they see teeth problems
more in certain breeds and colors. redheaded cats have more gingivitis than
other cats. purebreds more at risk-tho maine coons have less problems than
abyssinians and persians. My Mr. Bean is red and he ws the first one to
exhibit the gum and tooth problems.
barbara