It sounds to me like the benefits outweigh the reaction. I'm so happy she is feeling better!

My cat, Doobie, has reactions to any vaccines, and so they give him a dose of something like "dexamethizone" (not sure of the exact spelling) with any immunizations, or he will run a faver, and his feet get hot and itchy, and he turns bright pink and generally miserable. I only update his rabies vaccine every 3 years now though (and he does not get the other "cat" vaccines).

Jenn

Ginger got her second dose of Immuno-regulin today.  She is now running all over, jumping, playing, and trying (rather unsuccessfully) to eat a little (don't get too excited-- I doubt the amount she ate on her own would fill up a thimble).  She is meowing for me and trying to knock the door down separating her room from the rest of the house.  In other words, except for the very serious fact that she is not eating normally, she seems great.

However, she had a very scary reaction to the Immuno-regulin for the first hour or so after getting it.  I think she had it the first time too, on Friday, but we were in the car then so I don't think I knew the extent of it. It seems to give her severe chills, so she shakes, and makes her temperature go way up for a short time. I took her temp at 104.7 and then 106.1 while this happened.  I freaked out and called the woman from the shelter where I volunteer and Ginger came from, who came over with her own thermometer and temped her at 105.8.  I gave her fluids and, per a vet who works with the shelter, one baby aspirin.  Within 30 minutes or so her temp was down to 104.8 (still high) and she was purring and playing a little.  Within another 30 minutes she was running around, interested in food and nibbling a little, jumping onto the very high bed in that room, and getting pinker than she has been for days.  When I thought back, I realized that after she got the first shot at the emergency room, while I was driving home she crawled onto my lap and was shivering and I called the emergency room to ask if this could just be an effect of the moderate fever they had temped her at, and they said yes. But she probably had a major temp spike then too.

I looked in the literature on I-R and it says that under 10% of cats get side effects which can include a minor increase in temperature (I do not think 105.8 is minor) and chills and sluggishness.  I guess she gets that reaction. Terry, from the shelter, looked it up in a book she has on meds for cats and dogs and saw that the dosages range from .25 to .5 ml, and I had given her .5 ml because that is what the article on the felineleukemia.org website recommends.  I do not know if I will give it to her again or not, but Terry said if I do I should give the lower dosage, and I think I would give it with a baby aspirin.  Right when it happened I said I would never give her the meds again, but she is so incredibly spunky now that I am not sure.  I actually just had to stop typing and go take her out of a planter on a shelf that she had climbed into, and now she is at the door meowing for me to go back and play with her!  Her next dosage would be on Thursday, and she has an ultrasound on Thursday if she is still not eating, so I would wait and see what the ultrasound says. If god-forbid she has cancer, then the I-R is probably not the answer anyway.

Terry could not believe she is not eating, because she looks so normal.  Her nose is still congested, but not very much by the sound of it. Her not eating is a mystery.  It made sense before the dental surgery, and right afterwards and while her URI was so bad, but now it does not make any sense, unless she still can not smell or taste much because she is still somewhat congested. I hope that is all it is.

Anyway, I just wanted to convey this experience with Immuno-Regulin so that you will know if you ever decide to try it that there can be temporary side effects that can be scary. Terry at the shelter uses it frequently and says she has never seen anything like Ginger's reaction to it, but she also said that it passed so quickly that, with 150 cats at the shelter, she is not sure she would notice if they had a brief spell of chills or a brief temp spike, since she was not totally listless or anything when it happened.

Michelle
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.