Again, they should ask and shouls have been aware of what Kess was doing, if animals disappear from the shelter, you would inquire if they were adopted out or if she brought them home, then later ask about their and see if she needs any help...all things I myself have done and asked.

Mia Nicer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But Joan The volunteers and fosters are not resposible for the animals that Kess takes home.

Joan Doljan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I agree. Since most of us screen adopters, I think the same should be for fosterers. I pay attention when someone says a house smells, or their cats are always sick etc.  I never send anyone anywhere unless I have seen the house or facility, or someone I trust has.

Joan

Cherie A Gabbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Mia,
We will agree to disagree on this.

I feel when you take on the responsiblity to foster or volunteer, you must take responsibility for your actions and that means if you were negligent in asking questions and being informed about the others in your facility then you are also to blame for the situation. Kess shoudl have known better, true, but the others should have watched and communicated with others, Kess is the President, but that does not mean she knows all and is right in everything she does. Personally I question everyone, and my vet questions me, to make sure I am not in it over my head (mind you she thinks I need a few more). This is the way organizations should be worked and run.
Cherie

Mia Nicer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Cherie,

I don't agree with what happened as I have said more than a few time with what Kess did.

I agree with what your saying as to maybe there should have been a system to have everyone looked at. I just don't feel that all volunteers and fosters should be responsible for this woman's actions. There should have been someone in charge of making sure the numbers were not to high and that the living conditions are in good shape but how can you assume it should be everyone's job. Rescue groups and shelters struggle to get volunteers especially fosters -to assume that they should also have to check or be responsible for someone else's living conditions is insane. Please realize Kess is the President and I think founder of Kitty Kind who knows what she told these people - it is also her responsiblity to show an example. It is not a fosters or volunteers responsibilty to make sure that everything is done right by her. Yes someone should have created a system maybe that can be a thing to follow but Kess also lives no where near most of these people nor should their shared time to help animals be used to babysit Kess.

We have different views to the ones who are suffering. lets just leave it at that. I am mad at Kess but I also have seen and heard volunteers and foster in pain over this and have opened my mind and tried to put myself in their situation. They might have assumed that someone was in knowledge of her conditions -how could you think these people would have just ignored this.

Mia

Cherie A Gabbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Mia,
When I have volunteered and fostered in the past I would go to other fosters homes and volunteers just to stop by and say hi, or visit the furr kids that I had cared for, the director would often be questioned by myself and others as to her population stand point and she would have us over to see for ourselves, not that she was untrusted but just as, she would come and see the volunteers set ups and check on the fosters, she opened her home to us so we could do the same, and any time....That is responsibilty.....what happened with Kess was complete irresposiblity on everyones part.

 Has anyone checked on your house, before you got started, so they new you were able to care for animals if need be....I bet they did and if they did not then shame on them....

I still have my vet come to my house and she is encouraging me to take more on, because of my house size and my views, but I KNOW when to stop, at least for a while until the kitten grow up.

Mia Nicer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Cherie,

The foster and volunteers are not ignorant. I understand you are mad at this woman but don't take it out on people that did not know -some are more upset than you. What if they were led to believe these animals were adopted or healthy and ok. Remember Kess has been doing this animal rescue thing for years- You would think she would know what the right thing to do was more than anyone. How do you know they didn't think they were ok or placed in great foster homes like their own. Please try to be a little more opened minded. I believe if they even had the smallest bit of evidence from her that something was wrong someone would have done something.

a lot of those volunteers are amazing kind animal lovers and would never let anything like this happen let alone turn their head like you are suggesting. They love helping animals -I know this because i know some of them. There are foster homes that are great!! not all are like the one you saw on tv.
Mia
Cherie A Gabbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ignorance, is not an excuse the fosters and volunteers should have asked questions and inquired about the sick kitties would have been humane and kind hearted.
I hope the adoption rate goes up for the shelter and Kess gets what is coming to her...I am so enraged by this, sad for the animals but angry about the woman....

Animals and children look to us to help, care and protect them...and as usual we have failed, and this woman is to blame.
Cherie
Mia Nicer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
To everyone in this group,

Please do not take my recent email as a defense to Kitty Kind or this organization.
Again I am not affiliated with them and believe what her actions have created is horrible. My previous email is to express my concern for the cats with Kitty Kind and also the fosters and volunteers. Many of them are so upset and found out just like me and you. **Please remember some of those cats might have been with them at one point and they thought Marlene was doing the right thing. I am just worried some of these cats who really need homes will not get adopted because of the bad media Marlene has given this group.
Please remember that some of these cats are in foster homes and not with that woman!!

I hope I have not upset anyone with this email and have shed some light on the innocent kitties, fosters and volunteers. **Please remember they have just found out and just imagine how upset they must be.

Mia
Nina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Mia,
I understand what you are saying about not judging everyone involved
with an organization because of one individual's actions and, of course,
the cats in their care shouldn't suffer further because of any human's
misconduct. When I read about this situation, I couldn't help but
wonder what sort of deplorable circumstances could lead someone who,
(one would hope), was trying to help, to these dire straights. Not
everyone will be able to muster compassion for the humans involved, but
we all are heartsick over what the innocents suffer.
Nina

Mia Nicer
Phone: (646) 226-3277

Do You Yahoo!?