Michelle,
I'm so sorry about Fern and Pepsi and the whole last few months you've had.  That retreat sounds like the perfect thing for you and Gray to do; you've been through so much recently and some grounding and centering will be good for you.  Take care of each other and we're all here when you're ready to come back.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks, Cherie. I am here. Fern actually died Sunday night, about six hours after Pepsi.  I was in NJ with Pepsi and Gray was in MA with Fern, and he did not tell me until Monday morning because he thought I could not handle it so soon after Pepsi's death.  So I came back to MA and buried her with him.  We are pretty numb and exhausted.

Ginger is still at my mom's in NJ. I brought her down there with me when I went to be with Pepsi, because she had a fever and I did not feel ok about leaving her here with anyone else taking care of her, and she immediately started doing better at my mom's.  She has been eating a ton, with just one periactin every other day.  Knock on wood. So I left her there with my mom, because we are moving to NJ in a little over a month and this way she does not have to do two more 5 hour car rides. My mom is also very skilled at medicating, giving fluids, etc. so if Ginger needs it she can do it. My mom was very close to Pepsi, so I think having Ginger there to fuss over is actually good for her, and for Ginger, right now.

Gray and I are actually both going to a yoga retreat center for two nights this weekend. It is really hard to be in the house right now, as Fern was the last of our three dogs, who we have had for the past 10 years, which is most of our relationship.  We want to get out of the house, but feel we need something with some structure since we feel pretty lost and figure we won't actually do anything otherwise, so we are going to a yoga place in the berkshires where I have gone on my own a few times and really like it there. We are trying to survive.  To tell the truth, we are both functioning better than we thought we would, and better than we have in the past when we have lost loved ones, even though we lost two in one day after very difficult days of them being in bad shape. We are not sure if we are just numb from being overwhelmed, or if it has to do with how badly both of them were doing for days beforehand.  With Pepsi, I am not sure I have viscerally accepted she is gone.  I stayed with her while she was tranquilized, until she was really out of it, but left before they gave her the euthanasia shot because with horses it makes them fall over sideways and hit the ground really hard and is extremely horrible. I also did not look at her body afterwards. I went back to my parents' before they buried her, having last seen her standing, and then back to MA.  Since I was not seeing her every day and did not see her die, I am afraid that inside I am not really convinced she is gone yet.  So I am not sure this has hit full force yet.

But thank you for worrying about me. I am just too tired to read or respond to posts and have just been erasing most of them the few times i have gotten on email.

Michelle