Marlene,

I'm so sorry to hear about Digby.  I'm glad he was able to pass with you near, in his favorite spot.  What a wonderful idea you had about allowing his body to be examined!  I wish I had had the presence of mind to do that when Quintapus passed-it never occured to me, but I will remember for the future.  You're wonderful.  In your love and care of Digby and in your selfless act for others.

God bless you both, and Pekoe too!

Marlene Chornie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear Group,

    It is with great sadness that I tell you that Digby crossed over on Tues. evening (Mar. 24th).  I had taken him to the vet clinic that morning, to obtain some repeat blood work to check his numbers from the previous week.  Our intent was to then take him the next morning to see his regular vet for a follow-up assessment and results from the blood tests, and then more than likely make our "decision".
    We had been syringe feeding him this past weekend, since Sat. evening when he just couldn't/wouldn't take anything we had been hand feeding him.  Thankfully, this kept his strength and weight up.  In between feedings, he was comfortable in his various "safe places" sleeping.  Late Tues. afternoon, after he used the litter box he immediately became winded - laid down on the floor, panting and softly moaning when he exhaled.  I knew that was his "sign" to me.  I called my husband to come home from work and when he arrived we called the vet clinic.  They had run their own PCV (Hematocrit), and it was down to 10% (N = 24 - 45%).  Two of the vets came to the house after we had some time to spend with Digby.  One of the vets had requested to come with the other one, as she had come here last summer to help our CRF baby "Casper" cross, and said she wanted to be with us this time as well.  We were very touched by her compassion and concern for us.
    Digby passed very peacefully in his favourite spot - in our bay window on a pillow looking outside at the birds.  He gently laid his head down and closed his eyes.  We were so relieved at the peacefulness and tranquility of it.
    That morning, I had discussed our wishes with the vet clinic.  Digby will be separately cremated and his ashes returned to us in an urn.  We made it known to them that if they wished to autopsy him for tissue samples, etc. to gain perhaps some more insight into Feline Leukemia, that was O.K. with us.  Our thought is that perhaps Digby's passing can serve some greater good for others suffering with this.  They felt that the Animal Health Lab at the Veterinary College in our province would be interested in samples, to add the information to their database.  This lab is the one that had done most of Digby's blood tests.
    I will continue to read the posts on this forum, as our other furbaby Pekoe is also FelV+.  He's doing fine healthwise - as far as we know.  I believe he realizes that Digby isn't here anymore, but I know he'll be fine.  Many thanks to all of you for sharing your trials and tribulations.  I would like to share a phrase with you that I came across just yesterday.  I find it very consoling at this time -

"A gentle sleep is sometimes the kindest answer to the most impossible question of all ..."

Marlene

Do You Yahoo!?