I agree. Some cases of anemia are easily fixed, and transfusions can make a world of difference, but if your cat has stopped producing red blood cells completely, I think you are at best buying time, and at worst, prolonging a slow death. Have you vet do the smear, if he is producing new cells, then I say go for the transfusions if needed, and pump the iron into him. However, if he's not producing anything on his own, I do not believe transfusions are the way to go. I did not go that route with Moogie, nor do I ever intend to do so with any terminally ill cat with a low quality of life. Sometimes, we have to make the hard call. Everyone is different, and it's a decision you have to make for yourself, and your cat. What we think really is not the main concern, what YOU think is the most important thing.

Back to the supplementing topic at hand...
I have a cat that has chronic anemia (not FELV+), and I have to supplement his diet with a iron supplement occasionally. He's never gotten low enough to need a transfusion, thankfully! It's called Hi-Vite Drops, but there are many different brands of liquid iron boosters out there.

Oh, and while I'm at it, other members have mentioned potassium supplement too, in various cases, here is that, in case anyone needs to order any:

Jeffer's has a really good catalog, if you call them, they will send it in 3 days time. Has all kinds of supplements and supplies for force feeding and nursing, including complete liquid diets and that kind of stuff. A good one to use a reference when looking things up online. 1-800-JEFFERS (ask for the pet catalog when you call)

I'm assuming your cat has been tested for Feline Infectious Anemia (Hemobartonellosis), right? And he is negative?http://www.fabcats.org/anaemia.html (info)

And here's a good support group for cats with Anemia, you should join there and ask them these questions, as they have lots of experience with anemia:

Oh, one more thing.  I got ahead of myself.  Make sure
that the anemia is due to the bone marrow not
producing any red blood cells.  Did your vet do a
smear on your cat's original blood?  They can look and
see if there are any baby red blood cells in there.
The bone marrow should be pumping out new red blood
cells to counter the dropping hematocrit.  If the cat
has fleas or is bleeding internally or has any of the
other things that can cause anemia, you'd want to
address those first as those things can be fixed.  If
the smear shows, there are no more red blood cells
being produced, no new or young ones, then you are
looking at compromised bone marrow.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.