-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tad Burnett
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 1:22 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Tad's Sammy

Thank you all for the kind words about Sammy...
Sammy did have a full life and an interesting story...
He originally came to me as SD named after the
Suffuc Downs horse race track near Boston MA.
where he came from...When feeding the ferals there
there was one cat that came up to be patted and
picked up...They decided to rescue him and when
they brought a carrier for him he walked in himself...

They brought him to the vet for a check up..FeLV+...
But he was such a good boy they decided to try
one time on the internet...I had spent some time
in that area years ago so I wrote back and said I
would take him...

His teeth were all rotten and he had to be neutered
before I could bring him home but from the very
1st moment that I saw him he was my cat..He joined
the others in my FeLV room with no problem at all
and he always slept by my head at night...

He liked to sit in the window and watch outside...
He would have liked to go outside again....But
one day soon after I got  him it was snowing
and he jumped in the window and took one look
and jumped back down...He knew what snow was
and didn't want to be outside that day....

A while later I got a call from the rescue person that
I had gotten him from and they found a worker at the
track that had asked about him...It seems there was
an old woman that had lived in one of the horse barns
and his name was Sammy and he had lived with the old
woman but she had cancer and had passed away...
The man was happy that Sammy had a good home
because he knew him from before.....

Sammy was old and I feed him special food which he
ate well but never put on much weight and he had
arthritis but he never showed any sign of anything
unusual until Saturday night when he didn't finish his food
the way he usually did and was shacking his head...
I thought it might be one of his remaining teeth...
Then on Sunday he just looked at his food but wouldn't
eat...An hour later I found him with blood coming out
of his mouth....The vet said to watch him and put me on
for early appointment for Monday morning.....Monday
morning he couldn't close his mouth with a huge swelling
under his tongue...

The vet said it was most likely a cancer tumor with a
burst blood vessel and the whole lower jaw was involved...
He would have had to remove the lower jaw to get rid
of it and because of his age he probably wouldn't have
made it....He was in pain and the only humain thing to
do was to help him on to the Rainbow Bridge....

It all happened so quickly that I was just studded by it all
and I miss my old friend but perhaps I will get to see him
again....

If you would add his name to the CLS list that would be nice..

Tad