Having the intent and desire is the biggest part and practice is the other part that’s really important. Practicing on other people’s animals allows you to receive validation and feedback, which boosts your confidence.

To do this intentionally (and I’ll be talking here where you want to find out a good amount of information, not just a quick mental “do you want to go for a walk?”), it’s best to get yourself into a centered position. However that works best for you: taking a few deep breaths, lighting a candle, saying a prayer, meditating for a few minutes, whatever works. You need to be able to clear your mind and your space of distractions, so don’t try to do this when there’s lots of chaos going on. Set aside a place in your home that is your “sacred” space. If working with your animals, you can visualize them in your mind, look at a picture of them, or have them nearby. Call on the animal, their Higher Self, their guardians, guides and angels, and any other benevolent beings who wish to assist with the session. Call on your Higher Self, guardians, guides and angels as well. Ask that you all (your property and its inhabitants) be surrounded and protected with white Light. Do this for the animal, their property and those beings in that space if working with an animal not in your home. Greet the animal with hello, admire their beauty and kindness or whatever is appropriate, and let them know that you are talking with them on behalf of X (if working with someone else’s animal).

Then either write out or type out what you say and show to the animal mentally, describe any feelings you send, etc., and write out their responses (i.e., write the words you hear, describe pictures in detail that pop into your mind, describe that you feel a sensation in your body (i.e., your elbow is throbbing), you feel sadness from the animal, whatever). I type because I’m very fast and that works easiest. But I started out writing it out, because it helped me learn the skill of “automatic writing”, i.e. letting the pen flow on paper without stopping what was coming through, analyzing it or trying to make sense of it. One thing that’s important to know is that you cannot analyze what you get – you just have to let it flow. You are merely a translator of raw energy/data coming from the animal into words, pictures, thoughtforms, feelings etc. Whatever you receive is valid and should not be questioned or discounted, although you may find yourself doing that at the beginning out of doubt/nervousness. If you type it, just let your fingers flow across the keys, you’re in an “altered state” of being a channel for information, rather than “thinking” out the answers, if that makes sense. TRUST that you are receiving info and they are receiving what you send to them (again, thoughtforms, feelings, images, words, etc.).

After you finish the writing/typing, then go back and read it. Don’t change anything except to add clarification such as impressions about something. Sometimes I get a word, and then another word right behind it that is similar but not quite the same. The two words together convey what the animal means, so I will put the second word in brackets. The words, pictures, etc. come through as they are meant to. Again, trust yourself, trust the process, trust the animal. If something doesn’t make sense to you right away (or to the person you’re doing this for), that’s okay. Sometimes the information makes sense three weeks down the road.

Always thank the animal for talking to you; they like being heard and appreciate our attempts to communicate. Don’t just tell them what you want them to do/not do; ask them questions like what is your life’s purpose, how can I make your life better, what don’t you like, what do you need to be happy and healthy, how do you feel about X, do you enjoy doing X, what would you rather do instead (and give them options/show them pictures of what you’re talking about), etc.

If you just want to do a quick conversation with your animals, no need to write it or type it out, but I find that I get more detailed information when I do that process. However, I still talk to my animals about things that aren’t serious and don’t write that information down. If I want to know if they want to go for a walk, I send them a mental image of me clipping their leashes on and us going out the door and down the street. Same thing with a truck ride – I show them pictures of us going out the door and getting into the truck. I also ask them in my mind, do you want to go for a walk/ride? You can practice this instead of asking them out loud, see what happens. Don’t be discouraged if they don’t get your message right away. Just ask again and show the pictures again.

If I am having company over, I talk out loud to them about who’s coming and why, and what we’ll be doing. These conversations are just like how I would talk with a person. And I also hold mental images in my mind of all of that, so they can “see” what I’m talking about. Animals are very sensitive to our emotions, thoughtforms and mental images. So that’s why it’s important to always show them what you want them to do, not what you don’t want them to do. And don’t say to them “don’t jump up on the counter”, say “please keep all four feet on the floor” and show them a picture of them doing just that. Always couch it in positive terms.

If there are consequences for their actions, I explain that to the animal because they don’t know the rules. I go into detail to a dog about why it’s not okay to bite humans (painful, scary, could cause infection, etc.), that we have rules for this (dogs need to keep their teeth and mouths off of humans, we don’t bite them, if they feel threatened they should move away), and explain that the consequences could be ultimate death for such behavior (meaning their spirit will be released from their body via use of a chemical and they won’t have that body to inhabit any longer for that lifetime). Never assume the animal knows the rules or the consequences, no matter how trivial or how serious the issue/situation is. Always explain that to them so they have full understanding and can make “informed” choices.

One thing you need to keep in mind is species-appropriate behavior. Dogs bite when they feel cornered or threatened, that’s what they do, it’s a survival instinct. Not that we think it’s appropriate, but you have to give some thought to why they do something, not just demand that they don’t do it. Don’t set them up in situations that threaten them. For instance, if you have a shy or timid dog, don’t allow people to force themselves on the dog. Meaning, they should not approach the dog and lean over it and touch it. Instead, they should squat down, slowly extend their closed fist for the dog to sniff, and then if the dog doesn’t back away, they can slowly and gently touch it on the neck or chest or under the throat (never on the top of the head for a dog like this, as it can be threatening). This is just an example. Learning what is species appropriate behavior (are they a prey or predator? What does that mean to them in terms of how they view the world? What do they need to feel safe?) can help you better understand the whys of their actions and help you explain to them what you do or do not expect them to do. Keeping in mind, of course, that they have free will and (when natural reactive instinct isn’t involved, such as a dog going into predator mode and chasing a cat) can make choices about what they will or won’t do. If you want them to do something, explain it, don’t just demand it (we can never force another to do anything). Ask them why they persist in doing something you don’t like. You may be surprised by the answer. Ask them to elaborate, and offer them options. Understanding their perspective might allow you to make compromises that benefit you both.

Kat

Kathleen A. Berard, Animal Communicator, Vibrational Essences Practitioner and Holistic Care Consultant

KATALYST FOR ANIMAL WHOLENESS, INC.  www.katberard.com    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

EMAIL ME TO RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY SUBSCRIPTION TO THE MONTHLY “KAT’S JOURNAL” NEWSLETTER!

"If you don't know what your passion is, realize that one reason for your existence on Earth is to find it."  Oprah