From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 9:47 AM
Subject: 6 week old kitten fever question

> Hello all- sorry I been inactive lately just a reader I guess you would
call me :(

> I have a slightly urgent question...I just adopted a 6-7week old felv pos
kitten, and of course she came with a fever.  It was 104.0 the night I
brought her home.  I don't know if you'all remember that I work at a vet so
thankfully I was able to start her on SQ fluids right away, the doc told me
to hold of on antibiotics because she has diarrhea.  This was Tuesday night.
Well by Thursday her fever had not broken and I brought her to work with me,
the doc then started her on amoxicillin and meloxicam (an anti-inflammatory
and fever reducer), her temp still has not broken and at 4 am (last night)
she spiked to 105.8!!!
> I could not give her any further meds because she had them at 11pm.  I put
her to bed on a soft ice pack and slept with her the rest of the night.
This AM she is down to 103.2, better but still too scary for me.  Obviously
she has something else going on besides just a fever.  I have a call in to
my doc (again thank god I work there because its Sunday!)  In the meantime I
was just wondering if anyone has any ideas...experience with this type of
fever...tips...anything?  Also, at what temperature does there body "shut
down" ? I can't find any reference to when a high temp would be critical
anywhere.