On some cats, squirt bottles are nothing but challenges (I have a couple).  I use one of those large UZI type water guns that kids play with.  It will soak the cat instead of spray.  Also, don't let them see you do it.  Make them them think that the action is causing the water and not you that way, they won't do it when you aren't around either.  I trained a cat to leave my bird alone using this method and he lived 10 years harmoniously with my birds.

"MacKenzie, Kerry N." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That's hilarious! What a cutie--he deserved to have that chicken!
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of tamara stickler
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 11:20 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: RE: AC - cats marking

If the squirt bottle doesn't work...use a soft-light-weight foam ball and wing it at him.  (I know it sound aweful to throw anything at your animal...which is why I said only a soft foam ball that can't possible hurt them.  It will distract without injuring....you can always soak it in lemon juice, but ONLY use it DRY.  The lemon smell will be on the ball- cats don't like citrus and it will further help to reinforce the experience as an unpleasant one without causing lasting damage.

(We tried squirt bottles to keep Quintapus off the counter tops to no avail. When he was a kitten-adolescent,  Mom got so frustrated one evening when he hopped up to help himself to chicken that she was cooking for dinner that she turned the kitchen sink hose/rinser on him....he just LEANED into it & shut his eyes & started purring!......we were laughing so hard we were crying.  So we had to come up with an alternative.  The nerf ball worked better for us, but only AFTER we soaked and dryed the lemon juice to it.)
"Kathleen A. Berard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Get a squirt bottle, put it on squirt rather than spray. If you catch
him in the act (and only if you catch him, can't discipline afterwards,
timing is crucial), squirt him in the body (never the face) with the
water. Cats don't like water. If you get the timing right, he will come
to associate the squirt with spraying and hopefully stop.

Discover Yahoo!
Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online & more. Check it out!

Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP is moving our Chicago office to the Hyatt Center, 71 S. Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60606. Email addresses, telephone numbers, and facsimile numbers remain unchanged. For more information, click the link below or copy / paste the link into the address bar of your Web browser:

http://www.mayerbrownrowe.com/chicago/move.asp

Please Note: Some administrative functions will be located at 230 S. LaSalle, Chicago IL, 60604.