I've always had trouble getting my cats to eat Wellness.    Gloria

On Jun 21, 2005, at 11:54 AM, MacKenzie, Kerry N. wrote:

Hi all
Does anyone have any opinion on the quality of Royal Canin dry cat food v. eg Wellness (or for that matter the new Evo)? My vet was extolling its and the company's virtues when I saw him recently and gave me a gratis 6lb bag for my FeLV kitties. (The dry they eat just now is Wellness and all my cats love it so much, and it seems to be doing them good, I'm almost loathe to try them on something else. But I could use a 6lb free bag.) If you guys think Royal Canin quality is as good as Wellness I will mix it in. If not, I'll pass it on to a shelter.

Actually I just went on the web and here are the listed ingreds for both. Wellness looks superior.

As an aside, my vet was very impressed by the following Royal Canin R&D. Am I being just too cynical in thinking it's "toys for the boys" syndrome? Anyway, if anyone has any comments I'd love to hear them. I'm continually trying to educate myself on kitty nutrition. Thanks! Kerry

Finding the Perfect Kibble

Research Indicates: The size, shape and power of a cat's jaw depend on its age, breed and state of health.

Nutritional Breakthroughs: Scientific and mechanical studies of kibble texture and elasticity led to the use of a Texturometer. This innovation determines kibble size, shape and thickness as well as elasticity and degree of penetration required for breakage. All contribute to producing the perfect kibble for each cat.

Ingredients listed for Royal Canin dry:
Chicken meal, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, chicken, corn, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pea fiber, beet pulp, chicken flavor, powdered cellulose, fish oil, dried egg products, brewers yeast, sodium bisulfate, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, DL-methionine, taurine, natural antioxidant, iron proteinate, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese oxide, calcium pantothenate, manganese proteinate, niacin supplement, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis for Royal Canin dry:

Crude Protein Not less than 32%
Crude Fat Not less than 13%
Crude Fiber Not more than 4%

Moisture Not more than 10%
Magnesium Not more than 0.095%
Taurine Not less than 0.15%
Omega 6* Not less than 1.9%
Omega 3* Not less than 0.43%
Calories (kcal/cup) 316

Ingredents listed for Wellness dry:
Salmon, Deboned Turkey, Herring Meal, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fishmeal, Ground Whole Oats, Brown Rice, Dried Whole Eggs, Dried Peas, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Oil, Chicken Liver, Flaxseed, Cranberries, Blueberries, Taurine, Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Dried Kelp, Whole Ground Apples, Whole Ground Sweet Potatoes, Steamed Zucchini, Yucca Schidigera, Chicory Extract, Beta Carotene, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Vitamin E supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of Iron), Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of Manganese), Calcium Proteinate (a chelated source of Calcium), Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate (a chelated source of Cobalt), Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of Copper), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity).

Guaranteed Analysis for Wellness dry:
   Crude Protein   Not Less Than 33.0%
   Crude Fat   Not Less Than 19.0%
   Crude Fiber   Not More Than 5.0%
   Moisture   Not More Than 10.0%
   Ash   Not More Than 6.0%
   Magnesium   Not More Than 0.10%
   Taurine   Not Less Than 0.18%
   Omega-6 (Linoleic Acid)   Not Less Than 3.5%
   Omega-3 (Linolenic Acid)   Not Less Than 1.1%*
* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profile

Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP is moving our Chicago office to the Hyatt Center, 71 S. Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60606. Email addresses, telephone numbers, and facsimile numbers remain unchanged. For more information, click the link below or copy / paste the link into the address bar of your Web browser:

http://www.mayerbrownrowe.com/chicago/move.asp

Please Note: Some administrative functions will be located at 230 S. LaSalle, Chicago IL, 60604.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP to be used and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. If any such tax advice is made to any person or party other than to our client to whom the advice is directed, then the advice expressed above is being delivered to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP) of the transaction or matter discussed or referenced. Each taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.