Thanks for that Nina.
Flavia is having a blood transfusion at the emergency services clinic right
now. My neg cat Katyis donated the blood.
To back up, Flavia's symptoms last night were lack of energy, eating litter
(and very little appetite for food), defecating outside box, rapid breathing
and of course letting me handle her--she's feral.
After Flav and I left the bad clinic, we went home and I called to see if
the nice vet, Dr Dodin, who treated her in the past was at her clinic today
(I had pulled all the records from there last week as all the vets are
leaving that clinic). She was in today and is there till June 30.
She did bloodwork and sent it off. Then she did her own test for hematocrit.
It was 6. She said it may vary a little from the result that comes back, but
either way, not good. I'm amazed my little furball was so alert. She needed
a transfusion, fast.
(I have a feeling it will be nonregen anemia. I've been trying to take in
all the good info you sent, but I can't quite get a handle on what works
best AND is currently available for nonregen anemia in FeLV POS cats.
Feedback very welcome before I talk to the vet again. )
Then it turned out Higgins don't do transfusions. (I was shocked.)
The emergency clinic opens at 12 noon on Wed (and only Wed--what would have
happened if it was any other day I dread to think.)
So we went there. They didn't have blood!
Dr Dodin is calling me and the emergency place with full result tonight.
Only then will we know what type it is.
So I left poor Flavia there and went home to get Katyis to give blood.
Now, I'm thinking, Dr Dodin would have been better just to have done the
hematocrit test. Because the clinic could have run the full test and got
results immediately. (They did with Caramel and Levi) As it is, we have to
wait till 7pm tonight.
This is such a carbon copy of Caramel and Levi. Perhaps the outcome will be
better. But I realize that's probably unrealistic. I feel so bad for that
poor baby, strung up to a transfusion in a strange place. I was told it will
give her only 2 days of recovery--enough time to figure out the cause and
next step.
Thanks again for that, Nina.
I hope your brood are doing well.
Kerry