I put out some whiskers on some of my other groups to see if anyone had cats at Angel Wings and got this back..
>From one of the other rescuers involved.....
Tad

Tad did you know that Angel Wings Sanctuary was actually closed down for not treating the animals correctly. Here is a post about an update on Angel Wings Sanctuary.
July 4, 2005

ANGEL WINGS (AW) ANIMALS HAVE BEEN RESCUED  !!!
First off, since there is no need for secrecy anymore,  let me introduce
myself.  My name is  Holly, and I run the Stray Connection in Knoxville, TN.  The
Underdogs4cats represents a consortium of many individuals who worked  very
hard to rescue animals from Angel Wings.
The process began about six months ago when the two  former Board members,
Sue and Kara, secretly went onsite (to the Cats’ House  specifically) and took
pictures of the animals and conditions they were living  in.  They presented
their findings  to the Roane  County DA naively believing that AW would be shut
down immediately.  Well, as we have  learned, legal machinations take time.
I got involved about four months later when it became clear that the DA  would
bring charges against Rehnee Harvey.  At that point, we realized that we
needed a plan to handle all of the  animals we hoped to rescue from AW.  We began
the process of trying to line up foster homes, vet support,  funding, etc.
Peaceful Kingdom generously agreed to front the  bill for this effort.  Several
local  vets agreed to donate their time to exam and treat animals coming from
AW.
Beginning in early Jun, Rehnee did begin to voluntarily  turn over some cats.
She  voluntarily turned over 40 cats, 25 kittens (most of which were born to
unspayed  females), and 15 adults.  All of the  cats have been examined,
tested, vaccinated, etc.  If old enough, they are being altered  and put up for
adoption.  Of the  cats, one was very nonresponsive due to dehydration and
starvation.  She has recovered and is doing  well.  One has lymphoma (probably  not
Rehnee’s fault).  One has  non-regenerative anemia.  We have  sent a bone
marrow sample out to test for Felv/FIV and are awaiting  results.  One was FIV
positive.
In addition to the time and energy required to take care  of the cats we were
slowly getting from Rehnee, developing a formal plan for  rescuing all of the
tame the cats from AW was a massive effort.  We estimated that there were an
additional 40-50 cats on site.  The  problems of having enough crates to
transport all the cats in one day and where  to house that many cats took a long
time to resolve.  The DA requested a formal plan for  rescuing the cats, which
we submitted about 2 weeks ago.
Rehnee Harvey was charged with 37 counts of misdemeanor  animal cruelty on
Fri. Jun 24.  The  counts are misdemeanors, because it was her first offense.
Because we had a formal plan in place  for rescuing the cats, the animals were
not seized and euthanized at that  time.  It took another three and a  half
painful days of legal dealings before getting access to the site.  It was
crucial that we get custody  (ownership) of the animals so that a) we did not have
to hold them as evidence  for Rehnee’s trial, which is not scheduled to start
until Mar 29, 2006, and b) there was no  possibility that these animals would
have to be returned to AW.  On Thursday, Jun 30, an order was  written that
allowed access to all four properties where animals might be  located and legal
ownership of all animals was transferred to Peaceful Kingdom.  For legal ease,
we had to pick one lead  organization to which all animals were turned over.
The Stray Connection has assumed  responsibility for all the cats.  Peaceful
Kingdom and Great Dog  Rescue are taking care of the dogs, and Horse Haven
took all of the livestock  (goats, sheep, and horses).  We  mobilized at the
Roane County  DA’s office around 3  pm.  We were accompanied by RC  Animal Control
Officers and Sheriffs.
There are three main properties.  The Cats’ House has a house and four acres
cat fenced in.  Adjacent to the Cats’ house is Rehnee’s  house.  She bought
this property  about a year ago, left her husband, Terry, and moved into this
house.  Terry’s house is about 13 miles from the  first two properties.  This
is where  Rehnee and Terry lived until she left about a year ago.  Terry’s
house has six acres cat fenced  in.  The first stop was Terry’s  house.  We
suspected that the cats  had been moved from the Cats House to Terry’s house.  We
were correct.  Cats galore.  Terry’s house was worse than I could  have ever
imagined.  The front of  the house has a two-story porch which was covered by
large canvass tarps to keep  the sun out.  Feces and urine  covered the floors.
Most of the  cats were hanging around the yard or porch. They were quite
friendly and easy to  catch.  After crating as many as we  could easily catch that
were outside, we went into the house.  Urine and feces covered the floors
inside.  The house was utterly  filthy.  I started moving the  furniture to look
for scared cats and discovered corpses.  There were nine decomposed bodies
inside  the house and two fairly recently deceased cats in the front yard.  There
were a total of 14 dead animals  (corpses) found at the three sites.  As a
result, Rehnee will be charged with an additional 14 counts of  felony animal
cruelty.
After going through the house, I took the first 35 cats  back to the
unfinished basement of my house back in Knoxville for vetting.  Kara and other
volunteers remained  in Kingston to  visit the remaining two properties.  Two
wonderful vets, who donated their time and about 15 volunteers worked  for 4 hours
until all 35 cats had been examined, tested, vaccinated, treated for  fleas,
worms, and ear mites.  Kara  arrived at my house at 11:30  pm with an additional
23 cats.
With the foster homes we had lined up, about 20 of the cats who had been
vetted were placed quickly into foster homes.  The remaining cats were caged in
my  garage.  Most volunteers, after  being up till 1 pm Thurs,  went to work
Fri.  The remaining 23  cats were vetted Sat afternoon by another wonderful vet
and eight volunteers who  donated their time.  Most of the  cats rescued from
the three sites were dehydrated, anemic, covered in fleas, had  ear mites, and
were painfully thin.
A total of 59 cats were taken from AW properties Jun  30.  The vast majority
came from  Terry’s house.  Only five were found  at the Cats’ House and 1 at
Rehnee’s house.  Including the cats turned over by Rehnee  before the seizure,
the total number of cats and kittens taken from Angel Wings  is 99.  Of the
58 cats taken from  the premises Jun 30, 13 are positive for aids (FIV) and
eight are positive for  leukemia (Felv).  Thus, 40% of the  cats taken from Angel
Wings were positive for aids or leukemia.  The positive cats were not kept
separate  from non-positive cats as she told everyone.  So far, three of the 59
cats seized were  euthanized because they were in such bad shape.  We do
believe that we rescued all of the  cats from all AW properties that were tame.  So
far we have not euthanized any cats  just because they have aids or leukemia.
We want to wait a little while to see if individuals or other cat rescue
groups will take any of these cats.
On a personal note, feel free to contact us but please be patient.  We have
barely had time to breathe since  Thurs.  We still have lots of work  to get
the remaining cats out of cages and into foster homes.  Then we will have to
have the unaltered  cats fixed and begin the long process of finding these
animals permanent  homes.  It has been a massive effort  to date, and we have a long
way to go.  Rest assured, we are committed to the very end, but we are
already  tired.  Kara has been relentless  over the past 6 months and deserves much
of the credit.  You can contact her at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) .
Carmen with Peaceful Kingdom is working very hard to get all of  the pictures
of cats and dogs catalogued and onto the web.  Please be patient.  Pictures
will be available soon.  Our Angel Wings site webmaster is on  vacation, so we
will be adding them to _www.peacefulkingdom.org_
(
http://www.peacefulkingdom.org/)  to  start with.  Eventually, the cat  pictures will be on the Angel
Wings site as well.
If there is one lesson that I would like the public to learn from this
experience is that there is a fate worse than euthanasia.  Several times a week,
The Stray  Connection receives calls from individuals who have found stray cats
but don’t  want them and “can’t bear to take them to the shelter to be
euthanized.”  An animal left to fend for itself can  end up like those rescued from
AW.  It is not a pretty sight and it is not a good life by any  means.
Sincerely,
Holly
The Stray Connection

Joan
Tad Burnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The cats at Angel Wings Sanctuary in Tenn. have been abandoned and now
brought into a shelter where they are getting care temporarly...If any
one has animals there and wishes to claim them or look after their
future they could contact me....
We have pictures of the FeLV+ cats...There are a number of FIV and
neg. also....

If any of these are yours please let me know....
Tad

Do you Yahoo!?
Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!