Hideyo,
For your coworker who thinks she has to get rid of her cats.....  Oh dear!!  Has she talked to her doctor?  We had the 2 cats when I found out I was pregnant, and then we got the 3rd FeLV-FIV cat.  The doctor was more concerned that I take good care of my kitties than of anything happening.  All the pregnancy books I have say just don't change litter, which corresponds to the advice I have recieved here, at the Dr., and from the vet.  How awful of her husband!  Maybe he just doesn't want to change litter.  I will be hoping that you can help change her mind.  I would urge her to talk to her doctor.  That should be helpful...
Erika