Hi Terri,
I agree with almost everything Jenn said, except I'm not a fan of Cornell, in fact I think almost all of their info about FeLV is very out-dated. And I think the viruses life span outside of the host whether in a wet or dry enviornment is only seconds and not minutes. And I think the average lifespan is longer than suspected because I think alot healthy positive cats are never diagnosed.

As far as healthy adult cats getting the virus, yes that is near zero chances, I have 6 furkids, my Bailey is my positive. He and Joey are always playing (sometimes alittle rough), grooming (and they have had tongue to tongue contact when they both want to groom each other at the same time), and I have had Joey PCR tested (tests the cats DNA), and Joey is negative. If anyone were going to get it from Bailey it would be him. I think keeping stress to nil is a very important factor in setting off the virus and yes giving immune boosting supplements is very good as long as it doesn't cause stress. Unfortuntely with Bailey it's impossible to give anything I can't put in his food and that he can't taste, he gets very stressed taking meds.

He was positive at 5 months of age when I found him, and he turned 10 years old in May. He's had no health problems until last year when he came down with a pretty bad case of stomastisis and we tried everything from azithromyacin to chinese herbs to acupunture, it all helped but didn't completely resolve the problem (he did test positive for bartonella, and I have not had him retested which I really need to do, but at the time I was taking care of Buddie who had cancer, and taking blood is so stressful I figure as long as things are going OK why shake the boat). After about 6 or 7 months and Bailey was losing a little bit of weight we decided we had to pull his teeth, he still has his canines and the tiny ones in between those but the rest are gone. That seems to have done the trick. He has a bit of arthritis now but other than that he is in good health as far as we know!

The vet thing is right on, so many vets EVEN today still say euthanize, and even more once a cat gets sick will say "Well it's the FeLV kicking in", and don't even bother trying to find out what is wrong with the cat. Get your self a good vet, one who is knowledgable about FeLV or at the very least will to be open minded about it.

--
Belinda
Happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties ...
http://www.bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candle Light Service
http://www.bemikitties.com/cls

HostDesign4U.com  (affordable hosting & web design)
http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs (non-profit web sites)
http://bmk.bemikitties.com