If they don't understand what happened it unbalances their world even more.  I have seen it several times.  One animal leaves and the others have to reorder their lives--rearrange the pecking order.  I guess my point is to make sure they do understand what happened so they can do their reordering.

Take care
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [NMHP] One cat at the bottom of the totem pole

I use both versions of Feliway, as well as catnip.  Simon was separated from them his last month, but I brought him in to see them once and they did not really want much to do with him and he did not want to see them either.  Ginger was the only one who was really close to him, and she is the most well-adjusted now. I think it is just that he kind of held their little society together as the only one they all liked, and now they don't have anyone they all like. Ginger plays all the time and Simon used to play with her, so now she tries to get Lucy to play and that makes Lucy really irritatated, etc.  I do not really think it is that they are grieving, but more that things just don't work as well without him.
Thanks,
Michelle