Try adding Willard Water to his water....it will help hydrate him,  I use it with filtered water for my girls.  The filtered water will leave a scum or minerals in the bowl in a couple of days (they don't like it changed daily and get about a gallon at a change--they won't change so I adapt).  With the Willard Water it stays clear and clean and the glass bowls have no residue.  WW is available at a lot of heath food places and on the internet,  I thought people were nuts who recommended it to me--water is water---they are not nuts.
----- Original Message -----
From: catatonya
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: Another emergency!! - at home oxygen tank?

Kerry,

I hope Rascal continues to improve.  And Bandy as well.  You must be going crazy with 2 sick at the same time.  It's so hard when just one is sick!

tonya

Kerry Roach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
thanks so much for the replies..My Lil Rascal made it home without the use of oxygen...His breathing was much better and now today (Monday) we are going to get him on the correct meds..I hope...He has hyperthyroidism so that doesn't help matters..
Anyway, I had a friend that had an oxygen tank and she brought it just in case..My vet said for me to just cover the carrier with towels so the air flow wouldn't be completly cut off and put the hose thru the side with some ice in a bowl for humidity and turn it on a low setting 1 or 1.5 just in case...I do think if I need to, I can enclose a carrier at home if another emergency arises with his breathing..at least to do a breathing treatment or whatever he might need in a crunch..
When we got home though, he was very dehydrated as I think they must have took the fluids off too fast and didn't get enough back fast enough so he stayed at the water bowl all night and it was awful...I called my reg vet Sunday morning and took him in for 250 SQ fluids, as his temp was subnormal...then he stayed all afternoon on a heating pad and had a little O2 as well..he received another 250 fluids that afternoon and then I brought him home...He used the box then went on to pig out...I was so happy that he felt good enough to eat...I have seen him eat several times since..and drinking but not to the extent of hanging his head over the bowl as he did when we got home...anyway...My vet said they should have supplemented him with SQ fluids even though he had an IV, but they didn't and didn't even give him any potassium..We have done all of that now and hopefully can give him some quality time at home..He is Bandy's buddy..and Bandy has been with him since I got him home..
Lil Rascal is 15  (Oct. 31 will be 16) and never been sick in his life..So this is all very traumatic for him..Thanks again for all of your info..
Head butts to all our wonderful fur babies!
Kerry, Bandy, Lil Rascal and the rest of the crew

Yahoo! for Good