Dear Kerry,

How wonderful that you have a new family member!  He's a lucky little fellow to be going to your home!

I would try scent-swapping for a few days; give him a blanket and the other kitties a blanket and then trade them after a day and let them become accustomed to each other's smell.  It's so hard to decide how to integrate.  I generally do set up a cage at least for a couple of days; I think it helps the new kitty feel secure (I drape the cage with a blanket and raise it a little bit each day and give them a box to cuddle in) and everybody gets used to sounds and smells and then interest takes over!  Sometimes a first reaction will get stuck in their wee heads and a even a good-natured cat can get off on the wrong foot, er, paw!  After a few days I would open the cage door and start a play session; hopefully they'll all get involved and associate face-to-face contact with something pleasureable.  Might want to have the sliced chicken breast ready, too!

As far as mixing them, I think I would.  It sounds like Momcat is either naturally immune or (and I know this is miserable to contemplate) a latent carrier.

I wish you all the best with your new little fellow!

Love, Julie

"MacKenzie, Kerry N." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dear friends, I need some advice!

One of the NJ FeLV cats will be coming soon--possibly this Wed--to join my 2 remaining feral kitties (Mickie who's got FeLV, and Momcat who has tested neg twice).
Mickey and Momcat live in my 2nd bedroom.

I have 2 Qs--

1.    d'you think I need to introduce the new little guy slowly--I'd have to keep him in my bedroom while I'm at work, which could mean he'll be on his own for long stretches. :>(     (It's such a long time since I've had to introduce anyone---my brood all came as an existing colony.)  Little new guy, by the way, is supposed to be people-friendly. I'm hoping it will help bring my two round.
Cherie, who does rescue---she's the angel that took all the NJ cats-- said she didn't think I needed to keep little new guy separate (like in a crate, the other option I mentioned to her). But everything I read in the past says I should introduce them s-l-o-w-l-y.

2.    D'you think I should remove the negative cat, Momcat, from the room because otherwise she could contract FeLV from the new cat if it were a different strain of FeLV. (I'm very hazy on this stuff but I think I recall Sally in San Jose talking about different strains.) Momcat's never been vaccinated for FeLV.  She's still scared, and I really don't want to upset her further at this point. I dream of integrating her woth my bunch one day. It will be awful trying to catch her--much worse than the kittens and they were difficult enough.

All opinions much appreciated!! Thanks in advance----Kerry
=00

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP to be used and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity, investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP) of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

"I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is
to protection by man from the cruelty of man. "

by the way its animals are treated."

Mohandas Gandhi (1869-1948)

Paws Come WITH Claws!!!

If you're thinking about de-clawing your cat, you need to re-think your decision to acquire a pet.