Cotton's much anticipated visit to the new vet was a great experience.

This vet agreed with me that Cotton's immediate health was the first concern.  He got his fecal and his ears checked.  He got his ears cleaned, and he was found to be loaded with spirochites sp(?), and he was given a course of Metranidazole.

She agreed that the next step was getting the IFA, and a baseline cbc, and a basic metabolic panel to evaluate his general health.

I told her that since I started him on the L-Lysine (that Jen suggested!-THANK YOU!) his lymph nodes are actually  smaller.  She took this as a positive sign, and said that with good supportive care, he may continue to fight off the FeLV, but wanted to make sure we knew that his life expectancy was uncertain.   She was happy to prescribe Interferon, and even apologized for not mentioning it before I did!

She told me she is going to discuss Cotton's case with her senior vet, who is a cat internist, who is at a week long symposium, to make sure that she isn't missing anything and to come up with a testing schedule for my other cats.  I learned too, that she herself has 6 cats of her own, and she felt like if she was presented with this situation herself, she might be inclined to proceed as I have.  I was so put at ease by knowing that she thinks like this.  I couldn't ask for a better visit.

I feel so much better about our little Cotton-ball.  :)  We got him out of there just as he was starting to eye the tops of the cabinets over the sink.  So naughty, but we love him so much.
Thank you all for being so helpful with advice.
Sandy