Correct me if I am wrong...But I believe FeLV IS contacted primarily through saliva....
Maybe not urine and poop....
In saliva it dies as soon as it becomes dry, but what if it is in poop ???
Can that be carried on a shoe ???

The best defense against the disease is to keep cats healthy, well fed and happy...
No stress....I believe it is easy to contact but a cat has natural defenses against
the disease...The strength of these defenses is directly related to the condition
the cat is in....This pretty much holds true both before contact and after when
the cat tests positive...My vet says that he has seen many cats who he has seen
for the 1st time when on their death bed that test positive and are years old
and living with a number of other cats (unvaccinated on farms) and so far as he
knows none of the other cats have contacted it...(But maybe the farmer just
says this is the same thing and says the cat will die anyway and doesn't come to
the vet.)

One of the problems is that there are so many variables...health..time..and death
is a result of another disease....

Tad

David wrote:
Hey, wendy:

Your very kind words are muchly appreciated!

It was news to me (I mean, MORE news) that saliva was not absolutely implicated in the spread of the virus.  Likening it to HIV also made it more clear to me (I'm an LPN).

What I find scary...but I've been remiss!  I didn't realize that I didn't name the black kitty in my submission.  Her name was Flavia, in honor of her devotion to my husband (a semi-long story) and because of her exotic beauty.  And we loved her, though that isn't readily apparent in my letter.  Mea culpa!

Anyhow...what I find scary is that Flavia "got along" with the other cats by ignoring them, and they her.  It's always possible that blows, or even bites were traded when I wasn't around.  But mutual grooming and communal sleeping are absolutely out of the question.  Which, excepting an unknown bite,  means that he MUST have gotten it from food/water bowls or litter boxes.

Because Elvis is 12.  To answer your questionHe turned 12 on July 8.  I know this, because I took in a stray who proceeded to give birth in my bedroom closet about 3 weeks later, then went outside one day 5 weeks after that and
disappeared.  (Not coincidentally, that was the last time any cat of mine went outside.)

Anyhow, she had 5 kittens.  I gave two to my best friend of 44 years (we're 46) and kept the other three, Elvis, Tiddy (beautiful blue-gray tabby with huge eyes) and Juliet, AKA Girl Cat (large, sweet,
shy tortoiseshell with a passion for grooming all others).

That's why I know he wasn't born with it, (I know it's a virus that hides, but for 12 years?) and why I'm afraid of the communal bowl and commode possibility.

I appreciate your info on all the cats who've lived with positives and not contracted it.  Your letter, also, was a great comfort in my despair.  I truly appreciate your sharing your Cricket with me.

Many thanks!
Gia