I had a wart on my index finger when I was a teenager.
 It was right in my cuticle line.  It drove me crazy
and I would pick at it to no avail.  One day while in
the shower I got so mad at it, that I just picked and
picked and the strangest thing happened.  I ripped the
whole wart out!  It had little roots.  It bled a tiny
bit, and it was just like the wart had never been
there.  Brand new skin underneath; couldn't even see
where the roots had been.  So weird.  The depression
in my cuticle where the wart had pushed the cuticle
back eventually went back up on my nail where it was
supposed to be.  Warts are little mysteries!