I highly recommend getting the diagnosis and trying chemo if it is lymphoma.  Cats often do respond very well to it. Liver and kidney lymphoma have less chance of responding well than other kinds of lymphoma, but I think it gave Simon two months and made him feel a lot better, and he was extremely sick by the time they started it and were not sure it would do anything.  If you do  not do chemo or you do and it eventually stops working (though there are chemo agents to try when it stops working, like CCNU, that can cause second remissions and gave Simon his first remission), I would recommend doing heavy steroids, particularly dexamethasone and depomedrol shots as often as needed, usually every few weeks at first and then eventually every few days.  It can keep them happy and eating until very close to death.  All of this is assuming lymphoma, though, which I think given his positive status and the signs is probably, unfortunately, pretty safe to assume.

The fact that you are catching this before he is clinically ill (lethargic, anorexic, etc.) is a very good thing.

Michelle