-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of wendy
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:52 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: cat question

Janet,

I have to agree with everything that Nina said.
Having the cat spayed would probably be the humane
thing to do.  My cat Cricket was born with Feline
Leukemia; his mother had it.  I would like to urge you
to consider keeping this cat if you are at all
attached to it, and caring for it yourself.  FELV+
positive is not necessarily a death sentence; many
cats throw off the virus after they've been exposed,
expecially those with good health care and a lot of
love.  FELV+ cats are hard to place, and many times,
are euthanised because a lot of vets recommend it.
But we do not agree with this policy.  These kitties
deserve a happy life being loved just as much as a cat
that isn't FELV+.  Cricket lived 4 and a half years,
and probably would have lived longer had he not been
stressed out by a house full of Hurricane Rita
evacuees for a week, when the virus kicked in and he
became anemic.  Because he was born FELV+, his life
expectancy was a lot less than he actually lived.
Many kittens die by 6 months because their immune
systems are so weak, and even more by two years old.
No one can make this decision for you, but learn a
little more before you make the decision and I wish
you luck.  Let us know what you decide.  I'll keep you
in my prayers.

:)
Wendy